Converting cmyk/spot vector to greyscale

Started by delooch, December 05, 2007, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

so is there an easy way in illy, or any other app, to convert vector graphics with cmyk/spot values to its greyscale equivalent and keep it vector? it doesnt have to be a perfect conversion. it would be sort of like grabbing a vector object and rasterizing it greyscale, but keeping the vector info. probably a stoopid analogy but the end result is what i need. i have a project where i need to convert a bunch of industrial symbols to a greyscale-only version. so far ive been ungouping them manually and changing the color values to something close in grey.  for a few its not bad but i just learned there are 100's that need to be done.

from what i understand, they are feeding these into some type of cnc machine that can etch 128 levels of grey, but for some reason it cant differentiate the color vectors..

Joe

Select All, Filter, Colors, Convert to grayscale works for me in Illy. Pitstop in Acrobat.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

another good one is photoshop's new "black and white" under image adjustments

you could copy paste as pixels (ok - not a good idea - just sharing the idea) and the black and white function brings up a neat box of sliders so you can adjust the contrast and all manner of stuff of the image - its a great tool - but works with pixels rather than vectors/smart objects

but in illy use joe's method
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

delooch

holy split that was easy. thank you very much Joe!

Joe

You are welcome. Glad it worked for you. Now you can set up an action list to automate it. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.