Five years ago, I...

Started by gnubler, March 08, 2008, 07:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRob

Quote from: Joe  on March 12, 2008, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: LRob  on March 12, 2008, 01:16:02 PMIt's getting better. Most of the stuff we learn a night is stuff we have to teach ourselves.
Trying to get my boss to get Pit stop or Neo :grin:, But the main problem is everyone comes to me for the answers and I wasn't the one to go to Vancover(because of family stuff). The more I get to know it, the more I like it. Thanks for asking. BTW who was the onsite trainer for you guys?

Sorry to jump in here but if you can only get one go with Pitstop. NEO can't convert color spaces unless you use profiles and it won't let you convert CMYK or RGB to gray. To convert to gray you'll need to open the image in the image editor of your choice (PS CS3 in my case) and convert to gray and save back into the PDF. Also there are no action lists in NEO. You'll get far more use out Pitstop IMHO. NEO is great for text edits and image manipulation but you'll need Pitstop as well.

I guess I'll make him get both. :ninja2:

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1280.msg16802#msg16802 date=1205362517Sorry to jump in here but if you can only get one go with Pitstop. NEO can't convert color spaces unless you use profiles and it won't let you convert CMYK or RGB to gray. To convert to gray you'll need to open the image in the image editor of your choice (PS CS3 in my case) and convert to gray and save back into the PDF. Also there are no action lists in NEO. You'll get far more use out Pitstop IMHO. NEO is great for text edits and image manipulation but you'll need Pitstop as well.

Hey, thanks! I'm the Designated Pitstop User around here (also the only guy who apparently knows that it's a plug-in, not an application - I come in and the first shift tells me they've searched my Mac for it and just can't find it anywhere... ) and back when we got our New Boss who loves to spend money a while back I thought we were getting Neo. Nah, but we do, apparently, have Total Rip I just found out.

Neo can't convert color spaces without profiles being invoked. I follow that. Converting to gray, well, the gray balance thing is a subject of contention in all walks of life. My partner in crime is a scanner operator of the old school, he knows gray balance, quotes chapter and verse. I've gained an entirely new respect for what I don't know from him over the last 8 years. It's not often that we "operators" get any opportunity to have any affect on the goings on around here in the laying-on of hands and incantations of color. Actually, make that never. If D dares to offer his advice, they run screaming down the hall and do the opposite.

As Tony Soprano sez, "what ya gonna do?"

Five years ago... I was unmarried, newly girlfriendless, living in a beat up little house in South Minneapolis with my elderly water spaniel, I had one electric circuit for the entire house (I eventually rewired it from top to bottom and sold it at the peak of the market for more than double what I paid for it in 2001, yay me!) and there were nightly gun battles in the alley out back. That was where the Crips and the Bloods territories met.

(I didn't tell the people who bought my house that at closing. They've probably figured it out by now.)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

LRob

Quote from: hotmetal on March 12, 2008, 11:27:06 PMNeo can't convert color spaces without profiles being invoked. I follow that. Converting to gray, well, the gray balance thing is a subject of contention in all walks of life. My partner in crime is a scanner operator of the old school, he knows gray balance, quotes chapter and verse. I've gained an entirely new respect for what I don't know from him over the last 8 years. It's not often that we "operators" get any opportunity to have any affect on the goings on around here in the laying-on of hands and incantations of color. Actually, make that never. If D dares to offer his advice, they run screaming down the hall and do the opposite.
Scanning was one of my first jobs in printing. You learn color fast doing that. Now my main job is retouching and color w/ a lot of postscripting in between. Wait I on a PDF work flow, I can't say postscripting any more. Or can I ? I'm so confused

Sparky

Quote from: jezza  link=topic=1280.msg16703#msg16703 date=1205338538
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on March 12, 2008, 09:56:18 AM32(almost) yrs ago
-greatest day in the history of man to date..     a legend was born.   :cool:

Who was that then?  :laugh:

Just a few folks: http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/people/list/celebrity-categories.asp?FD=yob&ID=1976
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

G_Town

•23 years ago, quit local college to work full time at the printing company I was temping at.

•10 years ago became prepress manager at same company.

•2 years ago, quit above job for an operator job out of state.

•1 day ago rode rollercoasters.

•1 minute ago gave old company the bird.