Checking UPC codes

Started by Zimmy3, September 18, 2007, 08:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Quote from: david on September 26, 2007, 09:12:06 AMwhat type of file is embedded or linked in the .ai file?
eps or?

are the fonts outlined in the linked files?

do the bars in the linked files look clean and not jaggy?

.eps file with a generic icon, I assume that came out of barcode pro.

no

clean but not consistant with ours.

The other thing is when I open the eps the lines are paths that are stroked to create the thickness of the bar and not a rectangular path like the ones we produce.

G_Town

Quote from: Zimmy3 on September 26, 2007, 11:23:13 AMWhat exactly are they scanning? a B&W print of a printer? if so its probaly distorted.

We are scanning them here usually on a laser or a fuji final proof. Ours read A's theres read C-F.

Scanning with a stratix bar code scanner.

Zimmy3

Are they scanning the SAME proof that you are,or a print off a shitty printer?
Because it feels good !

David

sounds like someone has gone and messed the barcode up big time.
tell them to generate the code at the correct size and rotation and not, repeat not, open the file and stroke or change the bars or type.
If they do, they will assume liability, if and when the barcodes can't be read at the retail level.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: Zimmy3 on September 27, 2007, 08:42:51 AMAre they scanning the SAME proof that you are,or a print off a shitty printer?

No it's We who are doing the scanning as we are the printer and there placed UPC codes are failing our QA scans that's the whole issue.

If we replace them with our generated codes they are fine (on press as well).

Zimmy3

Quote from: G_Town on September 27, 2007, 08:33:19 AMThe other thing is when I open the eps the lines are paths that are stroked to create the thickness of the bar and not a rectangular path like the ones we produce.
This sounds like a PDF thing,I recall PDFs doing this.
Because it feels good !