Checking UPC codes

Started by Zimmy3, September 18, 2007, 08:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zimmy3

What software do you use to check your UPC codes?
Is it a wand or a gun?
Because it feels good !

kermit

Barcode Pro for OS 9 and ADB pen on old blue and white G3. I also have OS X versions of Barcode Pro which I am using to make barcodes but I never bought newer device to check it.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

David

Barcode Pro with a hand held bar code reader (we have several, some are battery operated free standing, others are jacked into a computer)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Zimmy3

Sorry for the EXTRA question in MY  OWN post but,
How many times does your UPC get checked and at what stage of your workflow?
Because it feels good !

David

we check em' at the proofing stage and then once again when it gets on press.
Livin' la Vida Loca

kermit

Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

G_Town

Proofing and Press.

Quick question about Barcode Pro. We have a customer using it and the codes are constantly failing or read poorly on our reader (our codes from Artpro are always  A's).  The codes in question have oddly spaced bars as compared to ours, by that I mean they are not consistantly bigger or smaller than ours they just seem random. Also the numbers at the bottom are not good quality text zooming up reveals an almost simplified path to the text.

I guess my question is what should I be telling my customer to look for so I can get good UPC's from them?

David

are they messin' with them after they make them?
one of the first rules of good barcodes:
don't scale em'
don't rotate em'
and certainly don't photoshop em'.

are they using some kind of funky font or anything?
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: G_Town on September 25, 2007, 02:24:52 PMProofing and Press.

Quick question about Barcode Pro. We have a customer using it and the codes are constantly failing or read poorly on our reader (our codes from Artpro are always  A's).  The codes in question have oddly spaced bars as compared to ours, by that I mean they are not consistantly bigger or smaller than ours they just seem random. Also the numbers at the bottom are not good quality text zooming up reveals an almost simplified path to the text.

I guess my question is what should I be telling my customer to look for so I can get good UPC's from them?

That's new to me, barcode pro user for years now, are they saving .eps from BCP or are they doing something else in Illustrator after?
Save as .eps should (does for me) achieve quality vector art that works consistantly.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

kermit

Barcode Pro generates vector eps files. They are as good as your output device can print them.

beermonster

sounds like some export features may need tweaking?

good barcode generators create vectors - and follow those rules as above as well

it sounds like your codes could be exported as eps, opened in photoshop, live-traced in illy perhaps? that'd give some funky results if not done carefully.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

G_Town

Quote from: beermonster on September 26, 2007, 06:36:49 AMsounds like some export features may need tweaking?

good barcode generators create vectors - and follow those rules as above as well

it sounds like your codes could be exported as eps, opened in photoshop, live-traced in illy perhaps? that'd give some funky results if not done carefully.

They recently sent us a ai file with the UPC's embedded and also linked, supposedly they came right out of the barcode software. Both versions scan bad.

I'm at a loss as to what to tell them, if I'm hearing you guys correctly theres really know way for them to f'em up?

Like I said before ours scan A's all day long. Is there a preference panel or something I can have them read off to me?

David

what type of file is embedded or linked in the .ai file?
eps or?

are the fonts outlined in the linked files?

do the bars in the linked files look clean and not jaggy?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

What exactly are they scanning? a B&W print of a printer? if so its probaly distorted.
Because it feels good !