Fair wage

Started by Adriano, September 13, 2008, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

This is weird. At the dentist this morning, [speaking of dentists], and his key reception/dental nurse has done a course and is off to WA next month to work in the Pilbara...not as a dental nurse, but one of those gargantuan open-mining truck drivers. The ones you have to climb 2 staircases to get into the cab.
I don't want to know what she will be earning. She's a "take no shit" kinda gal, so she'll handle it OK.

But rather topical, huh?

Hope you can sort it out though adriano... :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jimking

Here in Washington there's been several plants going under and the pay has stagnated because of this. The main gripe I read in the trade magazines is that printers are having a hard time finding experienced prepress people, go figure. A new pattern I see now in the classifieds for printing are CSR jobs retitled to sound like something all together different until you read the job description, such as "Image Technical Adviser" will service clients and sales staff, write jobs jackets etc.. It seems many printers want prepress people to become their CSRs and this will never be an option for me, personally.   

gnubler

Quote from: LoganBlade on September 14, 2008, 12:37:44 PMI might try doing design, have the paper that says I am and then I could charge what ever I want and prepress would like me because the job goes in correct and prints. Love the job but hate the industry. So many retards getting better pay and having less than a quarter of the skills. The more you know the more they seem to screw you.

You totally should! Graphic design is where it's at, and you'd get much more respect as an artist.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Adriano

QuoteYou totally should! Graphic design is where it's at, and you'd get much more respect as an artist.

I wish I had some artistic talent
I can't draw anything
Still not drinking. Never been better

DigitalCrapShoveler

This whole topic just pisses me off. Nothing is fair about the wage I and others in our field receive. I have been making around the same money for nearly a decade and all I ever hear, is that I am tapped. Then I read about jobs in other states that pay WAY more than what I get. I am starting to realize real quick, that employers are out to scalp YOU, just the way they do customers. Think about it... if you got a real bust ass doing the same job as a 3 Blood-Sausages for half the money, wonder what management is going to do? Confidence in your abilities and a hard-ass attitude are the ONLY way to get the money you deserve. If you appear docile, they will take advantage of you... if appear too brash, but unsure of yourself, they will take advantage of you. Be confident, be firm, AND brag like a MoFo. MAKE them realize YOU are a commodity and an asset!

Adriano, someone with your experience and time on the job... top pay. (Period) Anything less is someone stealing from your family's pocket!
Member #285 - Civilian

Adriano

I love your attitude DCS
You are right and I know it
Thank you for all support
It makes me feel better
Still not drinking. Never been better

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm in the same boat right now Chief... I sent my GM data facts, top pay in other states via job listings, a cost of living calculator and a two page sheet of EVERYTHING I do for the company beyond my "normal" job description and ratios. I still await the verdict as of two weeks ago. My company is very slow in raises, but are extremely fair when giving them... IF they give them. If they don't give me what I want... I start actively looking. No more bullshit!!!
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

When I moved shops, I negotiated for a wage I knew was more than they wanted to pay, also knowing that they had to hire somebody quickly. (Inside information) That being said, it wasn't very much of an increase from my previous employer, although I managed a little more vacation time. After 3 years, they just handed out "raises" in the amount of roughly 25¢. Yeah, you read that right.

Printers always cry the fucking blues, and yet our management team seems to have plenty of vacation, new cars & all the benefits. It's the same as any other business, the workers get shafted as much as the owners can get away with legally & that will never change.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Threatening to leave seems to be the only way that works and I don't play that shit so I left.

F$%k'em if they can't take a joke.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: G_Town on September 16, 2008, 09:09:50 AMThreatening to leave seems to be the only way that works and I don't play that shit so I left.

F$%k'em if they can't take a joke.

Playing the "honor" card, has not worked for me in the past. I was blind in actually thinking that if you busted your ass, made a difference and made everyone else look like they were standing still would be enough. It is not. Management of today feel like the more they can squeeze out of you before you fall over dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or a heart attack, the better. They care little for the workers. Slappy is right, while we pay the dues, the uppers enjoy the spoils. Let them get by with the Blood Sausages! I am through making everyone else money! They want my skills, they pay, because someone else will if they won't! They know it, and I know it.

Threaten to leave? No, I don't play that shit either. They get 1 chance, then I go on.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Where is Steviebator? I would like to hear about his financial successes and how he climbed that sticky corporate ladder at such a young age. Speak!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on September 16, 2008, 10:05:11 AMWhere is Steviebator? I would like to hear about his financial successes and how he climbed that sticky corporate ladder at such a young age. Speak!

Knee pads and Vaseline.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2008, 10:06:52 AM
Quote from: gnubler on September 16, 2008, 10:05:11 AMWhere is Steviebator? I would like to hear about his financial successes and how he climbed that sticky corporate ladder at such a young age. Speak!

Knee pads and Vaseline.

Huh? But he hasn't met me yet.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on September 16, 2008, 10:08:09 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 16, 2008, 10:06:52 AM

Knee pads and Vaseline.

Huh? But he hasn't met me yet.

Knee pads, Vaseline and a bag of acorns.
Member #285 - Civilian