born2print

I guess so!
<and we're still tied in posts you hoser!>
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

Take off eh! Like, only 10 more and we're hero members you knob!  ;D
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Wow, from senior to hero? Count me in :ninja:

tapdn

POST HOGS!!   POST HOGS!!!!!!
(I's gotts me sum catching up to do)
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

EyeTech

How come Asia charges so little for its print? This link might answer that question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVkotQ-We88

Ouch! Now do we think guards are a good idea?
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Gutnbg

You noticed the guy's arm wasn't broken, so back to work he went!

I'd be surprised if they didn't dock him for holding up production for an hour.  ::)
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Laurens

This thread was an interesting read until reality caught up with it.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

jezza

From an internal Memo a couple of years go

QuoteTragically, we have had an unacceptable violation and fatality at our plant in Bydgoczsz, Poland:  An intoxicated shift supervisor allowed an intoxicated employee onto the work floor and the worker was crushed to death in a baling machine.  Although our investigation continues, we have determined that safety practices at this facility were generally substandard.  Moreover, during our investigation, a supervisor encouraged witnesses to give false statements.  Four supervisors and employees have been terminated so far.

The last sentence is a bit of a worry...
one sick prepress mofo

EyeTech

'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

jezza

Good old Paperstone, never miss an opportunity to sell you something

Paper, Stone, er guillotine... fun game
one sick prepress mofo

hotmetal

Printing accidents, injuries, fatalities, and the indifference of employers to the dangers of the equipment, were the main reasons the early printers unions were formed in the late 19th Century. Furthermore, if it wasn't for the heros of the workplace revolution laying their lives and jobs on the line to organize the original unions, we'd still be finding ourselves outside the factory gate minus an arm, minus a job, and shit out of luck, union shop or not.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

born2print

delooch

i thought you couldn't be labeled a seasoned press operator unless you had less than 9.5 fingers..

and for you dry-toner based copy-jockeys out there, theres a report a read a few months back (i cant remember, but im trying to find it) stating how the particulates that your copiers discharge into the air are like 20x worse than cigarette smoke...  then i thought about how im locked in an unventilated basement with 6 production machines running 6 hours out of the day and what that is doing to my health.. not nearly as tragic as the incidents posted here, but still scary..  and all this time i thought my hacking cough came from other activites :P

jimking

A childhood buddy of mine's father was a pressman in the navy. He worked on ships in very tight quarters running presses. Back in his day they used the chemical benzene on the press and died at the age of 32 in the late 60s from leukemia. A direct result of benzene exposure.

Sparky

No where near as bad as what's been already put down, I grew up in this trade as a stripper :grin: Cut part of my thumb off trimming out a color key, was one of those who mounted a razor blade to his tape dispensor, and managed to find it with the side of my hand too many time to remember. would have fun by squirting film cleaner on apprentices in the dark room and throwing a match at them :rolleyes: When someone would go to the can we would stick a rag soaked in ammonia under the door and wait to see how fast they came out with their pants around the ankles :shocked:

I think I broke every rule OSHA ever came up with, from throwing single edged razors like ninja stars to not wearing gloves(or "the first rule of safety - safety glasses") when mixing darkroom chemicals, and openly running around the shop with my 12" scissors hanging from my belt  :cool:

And last but not least making a blow gun from a 4' piece of copper pipe and 8p nails (use a little .004 mylar rolled into a cone for a tail) damn things were accurate up to 100'  :grin:

Remember a friend of mine who got his arm caught in a Miehle 4/color 40" press when the safety bell failed to ring. He was under it doing a cleaning when the head pressman inched the press... needless to say it wasn't pretty :cry:
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"