Skills test for job applicant

Started by gnubler, August 16, 2011, 09:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

We're bringing a second body into prepress and I suggested to the bosses that we give applicants a skills test on their second interview. I know every shop is different, but in general what sort of things should I put together?

If anyone here has put together a skills test, what did you include?

Thx.  :kiss:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Make sure they can read a ruler! And know there are other measurement systems besides inches.
We also give a spelling test.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

If color is critical where you are at a color test should be included.

If you need them to design, give them an hour to come up with something in PageMaker Quark Publisher PAP InDesign.

Come up with a glossary of terms used in printing and see if they know what they mean like bleed, creep, trim, PDF, postscript, RIP, etc...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I'm thinking a tolerance test might be better than a "skill" test. See if they can get to level 10 on Tetris while you sir across the room with an airhorn and a dart gun, trying to distract/annoy them.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on August 16, 2011, 09:50:22 AMWe're bringing a second body into prepress...

great, that'll stink up the place even worse. The first one is all maggoty and we don't know where to put it as it is.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

Quote from: Earendil on August 16, 2011, 10:03:16 AMI'm thinking a tolerance test might be better than a "skill" test.

If they can tolerate being around me for more than one hour they should be hired on the spot.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Quote from: tpatterson on August 16, 2011, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: gnubler on August 16, 2011, 09:50:22 AMWe're bringing a second body into prepress...

great, that'll stink up the place even worse. The first one is all maggoty and we don't know where to put it as it is.

I used lime & vinegar on the first one and it worked quite well. It's natural.

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on August 16, 2011, 10:15:15 AM
Quote from: tpatterson on August 16, 2011, 10:06:16 AM

I used lime & vinegar on the first one and it worked quite well. It's natural.

did it make it taste like salt and sour chips? mmmmm!
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

I was thinking about being really sadistic and pulling up the worst Publisher job we've had and having the applicant prep it.

Is that wrong?  :laugh:

andyfest

We devised a folding carton file that embodies most of the problems we run into on a daily basis. The applicant is then asked to diagnose any issues and trap the file manually. If they can get thru that we know they have enough experience to survive.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on August 16, 2011, 09:50:22 AMWe're bringing a second body into prepress and I suggested to the bosses that we give applicants a skills test on their second interview. I know every shop is different, but in general what sort of things should I put together?

If anyone here has put together a skills test, what did you include?

Thx.  :kiss:

I have set up tests in the past, I have found them very helpful it weeding out the bullshitters.

Nothing to fancy, place an image and crop into a box, set copy and fill with a blend, open placed file and make a curves layer adjustment, trap all elements .002.

I find people either know what they are doing or are lying their asses off, had one girl on the crop image into a box part place the image then draw 4 white boxes around the image to crop it...she didn't get the job.

Skryber

Gnub, is your shop all digital or do you have offset there too?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

What we want is someone with a functioning brain who isn't strung out on crack. Willing to train the right person as long as they can do it in Adobe.

Bossman said most of the resumes we've gotten in so far have seemed "arrogant" and "demanding". You'd think in this market people would be thrilled over the opportunity.

gnubler

Quote from: Skryber on August 16, 2011, 11:01:38 AMGnub, is your shop all digital or do you have offset there too?

We have offset, digital & wide format.

Farabomb

You guys have any mental hospitals or DD wards around? Seems I need some training and as long as the woman can find a job....

Trap a job manually? I understand the concept but besides adjusting for metallics I've never had to trap a file by hand.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job