Need Help for making Print-Ready PDF

Started by kabeergfx, December 16, 2015, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kabeergfx

Hi,
I have designed 48pages (210*210mm) brochure using Indesign CC used pantone little for metallic ink in some places, exported as a Prepress quality PDF (with CMYK).
When i sent pdf to printer they send me document rejection email by sending following reason:

Errors we are not able to fix:
1. Silver/Gold < 100%
2. Low resolution
3. Missing bleed
4. Omit spot colour

Is there anyone who can check my pdf and confirm me about the errors.

Thanks a lot!

Farabomb

Use the PDFX-4:2008 option and it should fix your issues. Make sure you tell it to add bleed, it's not on by default.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: kabeergfx on December 16, 2015, 01:41:07 PMHi,
I have designed 48pages (210*210mm) brochure using Indesign CC used pantone little for metallic ink in some places, exported as a Prepress quality PDF (with CMYK).
When i sent pdf to printer they send me document rejection email by sending following reason:

1. Silver/Gold < 100%
2. Low resolution
3. Missing bleed
4. Omit spot colour

Thanks a lot!

Post a link of it here and I'm sure we can find fault with it. Hey, it's what we do!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kabeergfx

Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2015, 01:58:34 PM
Quote from: kabeergfx on December 16, 2015, 01:41:07 PMHi,

1. Silver/Gold < 100%
2. Low resolution
3. Missing bleed
4. Omit spot colour

Thanks a lot!

Post a link of it here and I'm sure we can find fault with it. Hey, it's what we do!
Thanks for prompt reply,

You can download PDF here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByFEaBsDNIqOdmgxMGptYng4MzA/view?usp=sharing

Joe

Quick look through the file there are some images that are less than 300 ppi. I'm really not seeing where the spot color is less than 100% but it wouldn't matter to me if it was. We do screen percentages of spots quite often but I know some people think that is a no-no. The PDF has a trim and bleed box and the bleed size .125". As long is the document was created at trim size then you do have bleed. But personally I see stuff that is a heck of a lot worse than your PDF. I would not "reject" it based on what your printer is telling you.

kabeergfx

I got this email from them,

1. Silver/Gold < 100%:
In order to achieve the silver/gold effect we require a tonal value of 100%.

2. Low resolution:
Please send us your printing data with the required minimum resolution of 300 dpi.

3. Missing bleed:
Please add a 2 mm bleed to each side that needs trimming.
Affected pages: 34

4. Omit spot colour:
Your spot colour has not been removed. This will result in colour blending and the spot colour will not be printed properly.

Unfortunately, our team cannot correct the errors listed. Therefore we would like to ask you to send us corrected and complete printing data (all pages for order).

Please guide what should i do now!!

Joe

OK. Page 34 does need to have the images extended at the bottom of the page.

Screening a spot color does give it a different look than the Pantone book. On my quick look I don't see where the spot color is screened back anywhere. I would ask them where they are seeing this. Also is the magazine supposed to be printed with 4/C plus a spot color?

As far as the resolution of the images...do you have the original images that are 300 ppi or above. If not I don't know what to tell you other than to find a new printer. We would fix the bleed on the one page and run the spot however you want it ran. If it is supposed to convert to CMYK I can tell you it will NOT match the Pantone color. The only way for that to ever happen is to print as a Pantone spot ink. And if you are happy with the quality of the images at that resolution we would run it as long as you approve it before hand.

kabeergfx

Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2015, 02:30:38 PMOK. Page 34 does need to have the images extended at the bottom of the page.

Screening a spot color does give it a different look than the Pantone book. On my quick look I don't see where the spot color is screened back anywhere. I would ask them where they are seeing this. Also is the magazine supposed to be printed with 4/C plus a spot color?

As far as the resolution of the images...do you have the original images that are 300 ppi or above. If not I don't know what to tell you other than to find a new printer. We would fix the bleed on the one page and run the spot however you want it ran. If it is supposed to convert to CMYK I can tell you it will NOT match the Pantone color. The only way for that to ever happen is to print as a Pantone spot ink. And if you are happy with the quality of the images at that resolution we would run it as long as you approve it before hand.

Yes its CMYK & Spot color for metallic effect.
I have all images with 300ppi.

I got further reply from them,
Please confirm if they are right and i should change colors in PDF

"You have thin lines on the majority of your pages, and these thin lines are with silver spot colour. The ink coverage of these thin lines is below 100%.
If you do not need these lines, please delete them. If you want them to be printed, please increase the silver ink coverage to 100%.

Joe

OK the thin lines they are referring to are colored as registration so they are 100% CMYK and SPOT. If you want those thin lines to be the spot color then make them the spot color and not registration. If you want them to be black make them JUST black and not registration.

As far as the images they are NOT all 300 ppi. For example on Pg. 2:

kabeergfx

Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2015, 03:06:38 PMOK the thin lines they are referring to are colored as registration so they are 100% CMYK and SPOT. If you want those thin lines to be the spot color then make them the spot color and not registration. If you want them to be black make them JUST black and not registration.

Whats is the best way to place images in indesign within frame & without losing ppi ?

StudioMonkey

Quote from: kabeergfx on December 17, 2015, 12:38:15 AM
Quote from: Joe on December 16, 2015, 03:06:38 PMOK the thin lines they are referring to are colored as registration so they are 100% CMYK and SPOT. If you want those thin lines to be the spot color then make them the spot color and not registration. If you want them to be black make them JUST black and not registration.

Whats is the best way to place images in indesign within frame & without losing ppi ?
One way to be sure is not to enlarge them.  If you need to enlarge your pics do it in PhotoShop with 'Resample Image' on - this will change the physical size and keep the ppi at 300 but it does mean some interpolation of the image.  Usually you would not notice any degradation if its a small increase in size.  
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Joe, you say the thin lines are registration over the silver. I'm reading 50% on all colors. We would question the use of a 50% of a metallic with 4c but we have run things that worked. We did mention to the customer how we won't know until it's on press as to what it will look like.

We have had issues with thin lines not being 100% of a color in the past. When they get screened and they are on an angle specifically they get broken up and aren't a solid line. Looking at these, it wouldn't really be a problem. They are not angled and more than thick enough.

I did see that the tag line uses 2 different fonts on differing pages. It also is covered by images on some pages.

I'd get someone from the printer that knows what they are taking about (not sales) and see exactly what's up. They do seem a little gunshy so looking for another printer isn't out of the question.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 17, 2015, 07:52:21 AMJoe, you say the thin lines are registration over the silver. I'm reading 50% on all colors.

This is what I'm seeing for this line:

Mikie

I found the screened spot color, page 12. On the other pages with this graphic this line is 50% K, this one is 50% CMY and the spot, and 100%K

kabeergfx

Could you please share some more details for " I did see that the tag line uses 2 different fonts on differing pages. It also is covered by images on some pages. "