News:

Main Menu

New press

Started by G_Town, May 04, 2018, 11:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on May 08, 2018, 08:54:31 AM
Quote from: andyfest on May 08, 2018, 08:49:49 AMFor that we have a Global Proofing system that was implemented about 2 years ago. We send QC a pdf of the client-supplied file + a pdf of our trapped input file and they are compared to both the imposed Epson proof and the printed sheet. The scanner/computer in the proofing system will check for any differences. It's helpful for missing text/elements, but also can detect blanket smashes and hickeys on the printed sheet from the press. That way the run can be stopped before it really gets going.

Nice. I guess it's been long enough out of production facilities for me to have fallen behind on technologies like this...  I'm glad to see they're being implemented. The waste was one of my biggest issues when I first got into printing. I always hated how much just went in the trash when a run went south..
Oh, our guys are still pretty good at making trash....
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: andyfest on May 08, 2018, 11:26:53 AMOh, our guys are still pretty good at making trash....

:gom:  :facepalm:  :shoots_self:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

David

bird cage liners...

been making 'em since 1975
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Yep, we still run daily, weekly, monthly bird-cage-liners on WWII era web presses. See an error on one of these rags and shrug it off... they'll get another chance to get it right next week.  :rotf: 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on May 08, 2018, 02:58:53 PMYep, we still run daily, weekly, monthly bird-cage-liners on WWII era web presses. See an error on one of these rags and shrug it off... they'll get another chance to get it right next week.  :rotf:

It doesn't matter how many chances you give them. They always get it wrong. If nothing else they are consistent.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

So that's how a modern printshop works? Sorry, I was stuck in 1985.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Marktonk

Hi G Town,
That is Prinect Inspection Control. It will automatically read sheets and deflect ones that it detects has a problem such as hickey, etc.. Just imagine pharmaceutical having a mark that looks like a period......10.0 mg vs 100 mg. You can set 5 levels of inspection sensitivity so that a very important area can have the highest level of review. Reference becomes the target and the sheet is inspected comparing to the reference.

Best,

Mark

Quote from: G_Town on May 07, 2018, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Marktonk on May 04, 2018, 08:06:23 PMI would have to say you have great taste!!! I am a bit biased but that is one hell of a press.

Best,

Mark

Mark this comes with a scanning system that scans the sheet and compares to a file from prepress.

They sent me a 12 page document talking reference and inspection level files. I think I get what they are wanting me to send them but I'm not entirely sure.
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Marktonk

Hi Andyfest,

This is Prinect Inpress Control. It uses spectrophotometry to read the color bar on the fly. The operator programs the desired Delta E and the press will read the sheets and automatically adjust the ink zones towards the digital master file. Once the Delta E is met, the press will automatically start the good sheet counter, monitor the color and adjust if necessary. This also will read and adjust registration.  The colorbar is smaller then the standard Heidelberg colorbar so it takes up less real estate but as you stated,  it does require a different location so that the spectrophotometers can read it. 

Best,

Mark

Quote from: andyfest on May 08, 2018, 07:00:38 AMWe are supposed to be getting a new 40 inch Heidy as well. It also has onboard colour management and scanning. However, it will require us to move the colour bars from the traditional tail end of the sheet to the front edge of the sheet. 80% of our printing is repeat jobs, so it looks like it will mean rebuilding every layout template for every job that is to be printed. PITA, but it does take any colour guesswork away from the press crews and should solve about 90% of our rejectable issues for colour or colour variation.
Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA

Farabomb

What you're saying is soon we won't need pressmen to run a press? Just need someone to load it?

Crap, that's another job that's going to get dumped on prepress.

But wait, if prepress is printing the job, who is one to complain to that the plates/job/screen/whatever is fucked up?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 23, 2018, 12:52:09 PMWhat you're saying is soon we won't need pressmen to run a press? Just need someone to load it?

Crap, that's another job that's going to get dumped on prepress.

But wait, if prepress is printing the job, who is one to complain to that the plates/job/screen/whatever is fucked up?

You're looking at it all wrong. This just give prepress more things to be blamed for.

Possum

Maybe not. Prepress already gets the blame.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Indirectly though.

Possum

"See, I told you it was all prepress' fault all along. This just proves it."  :facepalm:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

scottrsimons

Quote from: Possum on May 24, 2018, 07:50:53 AM"See, I told you it was all prepress' fault all along. This just proves it."  :facepalm:

Why didn't someone tell me this before I got into printing, especially prepress work. I would have chosen a different career!  :gom:
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Slappy

Nobody chooses printing as a career, it chooses YOU. Much like an anti-biotic resistant STD.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.