Creative Cloud has nixed Pantone Libraries

Started by Slappy, September 28, 2022, 07:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Splitting off from the original thread since it appears the divorce is final.

So, in addition to trying to guide clients - what are we supposed to buy?
I mean, will the Free plugin do what we need for every day operations, or do we have to move to the Individual/Business (Teams) that looks like $89 PER User which is insane.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I was worried about this at one time. >:D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Just to add. That is $89 per year. Not per month.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

From what I can see on the plugin's page it will include those 15,000+ swatches for free. The paid version adds a dozen or so features to create custom palettes and other un-important sounding junk.

I guess the normal Pantone+ Coated CMYK, Uncoated CMYK, and Metalic swatch books are to remain in Adobe software. I don't think they're up-to-date on the books within InDesign anyway, (still using v2 I think?) but if you have a newer book, you can download the swatchbook and manually plug them into InDesign or any other adobe program.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Slappy

So I updated the inDesign CC2022 on the "test" mac I have here & all of the Swatches are still available.

Who the hell knows.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Rodi

Well,
Thanks Adobe and Pantone. So there are workarounds, but try doing a monotone with spot arrrrggggghhhhh.

This is another reason I utilize Serif products (even the old v 1.9s will always now have Pantone color books) to mitigate this. I make plates for an separate but same building envelope company. Gotta track down that old Photoshop I have.

Gabba Gabba Hey

Tracy

I think the current update is the one that removes the swatches not 2022
I updated illustrator and lost swatches, I have not updated indesign yet

swampymarsh

DigiCorn

I might have asked this before, but it's late, and as usual, I'm drucking funk... Even if it displays as black in InDesign, does EFI still correct the color to the definition lookup table on proofs?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DHG

I just went to the folder that had an older version of Illustrator and grabbed the two .acb files that I needed because they were not available in the latest versions of Illustrator and InDesign. Copied them to /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2023/Presets/Swatch Libraries and /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2023/Presets.localized/en_US/Swatches/Color Books. Was back in business after that. 

swampymarsh

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 09, 2023, 11:47:10 PMI might have asked this before, but it's late, and as usual, I'm drucking funk... Even if it displays as black in InDesign, does EFI still correct the color to the definition lookup table on proofs?

Any good DFE/RIP should do this as standard, whether it is a proofing RIP or the DFE driving digital press.

AaronH

Quote from: Rodi on April 07, 2023, 11:31:34 AMWell,
Thanks Adobe and Pantone. So there are workarounds, but try doing a monotone with spot arrrrggggghhhhh.

This is another reason I utilize Serif products (even the old v 1.9s will always now have Pantone color books) to mitigate this. I make plates for an separate but same building envelope company. Gotta track down that old Photoshop I have.

Rodi, does Serif's programs have Separations Preview yet?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

Quote from: swampymarsh on April 11, 2023, 07:31:05 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on April 09, 2023, 11:47:10 PMI might have asked this before, but it's late, and as usual, I'm drucking funk... Even if it displays as black in InDesign, does EFI still correct the color to the definition lookup table on proofs?

Any good DFE/RIP should do this as standard, whether it is a proofing RIP or the DFE driving digital press.
Thanks for the answer. I don't even remember posting that. My life now is late nights, and copious amounts of beer. I am going on a booze cruise to Ensenada, Mexico next week.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: AaronH on April 13, 2023, 01:37:54 PM
Quote from: Rodi on April 07, 2023, 11:31:34 AMWell,

Rodi, does Serif's programs have Separations Preview yet?

If there is, I'll be damned if I can find it! Seems odd, maybe they're adding it in Ver 2.0 - hopefully.