News:

Main Menu

Any Upfront users?

Started by born2print, September 17, 2007, 09:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

Slappy and I have started a little thread on this, I got your reply Slappy, any new news on getting more from UpFront at your shops?

Anyone else have $.02 to pitch in?
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

David

we dumped it and went to Metrix...

other than that, no.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

I liked the way Metrix sounded better that UpFront, but the corporation is in bed w/ Kodak, so we compromised and got UpFront ;)

David

yeah, got K in my butt as well, but, the owner got in bed with some other folks a ways back, so we got Metrix now.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Kalessin

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Preps. What's the deal with setting a 16-up maximum? What if I want 24 business cards on a sheet? I have to set them up as 12 x 4pp! Yet another "solution" from Kodak that's great for management but awful for the end user (q.v. Prinergy).

born2print

yeah, you should see how we get Upfront to do Dutch layouts! Kinda makes me proud to get UF to do certain things... but a Preps user could do it a lot easier!

David

yeah, Upfront and Metrix are a liitle shy of a full boat when it comes to impo.
Preps has them all beat hands down.
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

<bump>
I've seen a lot more action in the Kodak threads lately so I wanted to bump this up to see if there's more users here now...

Adriano

Quote from: born2print on September 17, 2007, 09:55:21 AMSlappy and I have started a little thread on this, I got your reply Slappy, any new news on getting more from UpFront at your shops?

Anyone else have $.02 to pitch in?

We have Upfront and Preps
It is great as long as the "productions" guys get it right
We import direct the Preps job instead of printing the .ps and the page allocation works hips better
Still not drinking. Never been better

Slappy

Wow, I didn't even realize I was involved in this discussion! Um, I know we still use UpFront but to the best of my (limited) knowledge they never got it to pass layout through to Preps.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

:laugh: I can't say I remember that detail either Slappy :embarrassed:
UpFront is definitely feeding prepress with .tpl and .jobs, and a lot of them are working without a hitch....
but there's a lot of jobs that do not work as well, at least not without some pretty creative work-arounds.

Aaron

We use Upfront for 99% of the jobs. Weird things happen with cropmarks on certain layouts (I'm not familiar with it enough to understand why). The only problem is getting it fixed when it's laid out incorrectly. Need an act from congress to go up on the carpet and beg for a resend. Much easier to fix a preps job.
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail