Any FusionPro users out there?

Started by DCurry, January 19, 2009, 01:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Does anyone use FusionPro for variable data? We have it and I'm looking for some info on how others are using it. I think we may be doing things the hard way.Currently, if we have a variable job, we first make a PDF of the static data. Then, we open the PDF in Acrobat and use the FusionPro plugin to draw text boxes wherever variable data needs to go and format it there. No big deal, except when the customer changes something that affects the static data and I have to start from scratch with the variable stuff again. Up until now, we've only done mailing panels but there is a job on the horizon that is a wee bit more complex (putting the recipient's name in the body of the letter, etc.) I'd like to be able to format the variable text in InDesign (I know there's a plugin that came with FP), but I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing. The manual is a bit confusing to me, as well.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

I tried it at one point, and hated the interface so much just stopped using it altogether. I think that was Ver 3.21 and I understand it got much better at Ver4, but I never tried to talk them into upgrading. So, I suppose I'm saying is - I'm pretty much useless.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

PrepressCrapFixer

Dan,

I use Fusion Pro for variable data print.  VDP makes up a small part of our operation but I have had enough contact with the software I might be able to give you some tips.

The pluggin for Indesign is quite simplistic in what it does.  You should have a Fusion Pro menu that has a check box at the top to "export as" then there are 3 radial buttons to choose either 1) variable text frame, 2) variable graphic frame or 3) variable chart frame.  All you do is select the text frames that will hold your variable data and assign it the export as before you export to PDF.  To make your PDF you will use the pull down menu of the fusion pro pallet and choose export document.  Choose where you want to save it and be sure to include bleed if needed.  After the export is complete it will automatically launch Acrobat and starts you through the process of specifying the data source definition, creating rules, editing text frames, etc.. 

I will try to answer any questions you have (if I know).

I hope this helps,

Pete
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DCurry

Thanks, Pete. So, is the text already in place in InDesign, and then when you open in Acrobat you can insert the variable fields as needed, or is the text box in InDesign completely empty?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

PrepressCrapFixer

All of the text that you have in your original paragraph in Indesgn will come into the text box of the variable text frame you get in Acrobat.  Then all you have to do is edit the text frame and insert the variable fields that you wish to use.  As the field character size changes the rest of the paragraph will reflow so you will need to preview your stuff closely as sometimes this can cause undesired results.  I usually will try to isolate my variable text frames to as small a paragraph as possible so I have less items reflowing throughout the job.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

DCurry

That's very helpful - thanks for the info!

PrepressCrapFixer

No problem.  If you got more questions, I'm here.

DCurry

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on January 20, 2009, 09:04:02 AMNo problem.  If you got more questions, I'm here.
Well, since you offered! I did a little experiment and it works great. I did notice that some of the type reflows, even if I don't have any variable specified. I think I can work with that, though.

One question that comes to mind is what is FP using to determine PDF settings? When I use the FP palette to export the document to PDF, there are no PDF options that I can specify other than bleed.

PrepressCrapFixer

Honestly, I don't really know.  I just know that it works.

gnubler

I'm viewing a webinar about FP today. Who else here is using it? Digicorn?

Do we have a thread comparing the various VDP apps & tools?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

seratne

Also, a little tip. If you need to make a change to the static portion. Make the change in InDesign and re-export the PDF through the Fusion Pro panel and overwrite your previous PDF. All of the variable boxes will be retained from the original, but the static will be newly updated.

And one more just for kicks. If you're going to be using the same PDF with different data sources and you're using rules make sure you convert the rules to javascript. For some reason (at least on version 6.2) they'll be deleted when you define a different data source if they're not javascript.

David

We use it at our Mail house, it's pretty good stuff. User friendly and "no coding" required.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

I just viewed the webinar, it was pretty cool. There's another one Feb 2 if anyone's interested, sign up thru the Printable website. I think we're probably going to buy Fusion Pro Desktop within the next couple of weeks.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

It's a really good app, nicely written and works butt simple. I got a new girl at the mail house that picked it up in no time, and she's never done this stuff before.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job