Print from Dyna_help

Started by frailer, October 22, 2007, 02:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

OK, forget the colour bar sitting in the wrong place. I can back-track that. Not sure why no page images on the "printed" PDF from Dyna. Something simple, no doubt. Have just placed the same PDFx8, for the exercise.

BTW, dontcha just love photobucket. Thanks for the tip, whoever it was.

...staring at those images, I'm wondering if I just needed to "update", or something. I can feel a Homer comin' on... ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Santa

I think looking from the 4 up screen test shot there appears to be no page numbers in your imposition.

Number your pages 1 to whatever you need and you should see the pages in the PDF.

On the color bar, you just need to rotate it 90  degrees before you place. 

frailer

Page numbers looks like a damn good start, Santa! Shall try when I get a chance. :-[
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Santa

All good.  Glad to shed a little light.

frailer

Well, guess what, Santa! Hadn't paginated, had I. Worked OK after that. Noticed you gotta be pretty careful in the Output/Print area, too, to specify PDF. Seems you need to cover a couple of bases there. Need to be able to number outside the trim area, too. Have got a copy of the "workaround" from Dyna Central. Looks fiddly, but as long as it's gonna work.
Also gotta get a handle on templates. In PREPS you have imposition templates which you just serially add to the list; just by clicking "Add" till you get however many you want. Guess it's the same somewhere in Dyna. Might go onto prepresstraining.com and check it out again.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on October 24, 2007, 02:58:33 AMWell, guess what, Santa! Hadn't paginated, had I. Worked OK after that. Noticed you gotta be pretty careful in the Output/Print area, too, to specify PDF. Seems you need to cover a couple of bases there. Need to be able to number outside the trim area, too. Have got a copy of the "workaround" from Dyna Central. Looks fiddly, but as long as it's gonna work.
Also gotta get a handle on templates. In PREPS you have imposition templates which you just serially add to the list; just by clicking "Add" till you get however many you want. Guess it's the same somewhere in Dyna. Might go onto prepresstraining.com and check it out again.

Pssssst...go back to Preps!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Santa

Quote from: Joe on October 24, 2007, 03:38:46 AM
Quote from: frailer on October 24, 2007, 02:58:33 AMWell, guess what, Santa! Hadn't paginated, had I. Worked OK after that. Noticed you gotta be pretty careful in the Output/Print area, too, to specify PDF. Seems you need to cover a couple of bases there. Need to be able to number outside the trim area, too. Have got a copy of the "workaround" from Dyna Central. Looks fiddly, but as long as it's gonna work.

Pssssst...go back to Preps!

I AGREE.  But unfortunately I made my own bed by switching from Preps (Post Scenic Soft) to dynastrip  :-[ when we went CTP (Everything had to be new!!!!)  Anyway we now have two seats and have made it work, but there are some things about Dynastrip that drive me crazy, like importing color bars, not being able to see the files modified date in the run list (did that link update or not?) and the fact that since 10.4 OS update my saved templates have a very large tendency to disappear.

But it does get the work out and once you get the hang of it you can get things to fly.

frailer

Yeah, wouldn't argue, joe, but it's sitting there as a second impo app. Same deal; we got ours with CTP. Dunno why, but they seem to have a tie-in with major vendor "workflows".[IMHO one of the most over-hyped expressions in prepress]. This way, if I can get a handle on it, won't have to disturb other op. and be able to impo>RIP from same seat. Worth the effort. PREPS is pretty much the bench-mark it seems. If ImpoStrip didn't have the problems with support and apparent bugs, it's got the best interface of all 3. But too risky, I'd say.

Joe

Yeah, I was kidding (halfway). Nexus tried really hard to get us to switch from Preps to Dynastrip when we got Odystar. They said it integrated with it better than Preps. They sent a tech in to convert (show us how) to convert our Preps templates to Dynastrip whatever they call them. We have hundreds of them all using smartmarks. Well Dynastrip don't do smartmarks so we were going to have to remake the marks on all of those templates. We decided against that. That was the end of our Dynastrip experience.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

been toying with this [D/Strip], a bit more. I'll get there, no worries. But is it just me, or is there no overall logic to the interface? It's as though there were 10 different developers in 10 different rooms, and they all got together at the end to staple it together as an impo app. Pretty crappy GUI. Or is it me?
As to all those instantly generated files: yeech! I swear I had half a desktop full in an instant when I saved a template, [least I think it was a template...]. Bundled'em in a folder ASAP. ::)
Sorry, a sort of mild Dyna Rant...

frailer

To those kind souls who posted Dyna Tips here; finally got a test job out. Colour bars+page numbers printing just outside the bleed. Woo-hoo!
Must say I do like PDF in/out. Printed a 40pp A4 job in seconds. Sure is a quirky app, though. Get used to it, I suppose.
So now I can look forward to it "losing" templates, right? Can't wait. ::)

Santa

Frailer:

You hit it on the head.

I like to refer to it as my "sychzophrenic" friend. Three years later I've learned some cool things on it, but it still is very buggy.

frailer

Santa, any do's/don'ts on bringing in templates? What a roundabout rigmarole! Gotta be in the "sheet" panel, right? Then click on Import Template icon; navigate to template which has been previously saved to the [Templates] Folder. Trouble is, I'm getting greyed out stuff often. Must be missing a step. Sheesh, you've been tooling with it 3 years! Better start "pacing" myself. LOL ;D
Shall post some screen shots if I still keep tripping...BTW, can see how it could work pretty well once used to it.

Santa

To be honest, we gave up on templates.  Mostly because we area two man pre-press shop and I just never had the time to figure it out.  Training was during our CTP system install and brief at best.  Mostly what we do is after we build a common job, say a 12 pager, 16 pager, 9 x 12 pocket folder, we re-save the job into a folder we call "templates" and then just open that job, bring in the links we need and then re-save as the job number. 

frailer

So, just checking, when you re-open the old job, you just remove the previously imported files; then bring in your new ones? Kinda like you would in a manually imposed Indy job. [except you actually can save an .indt file there anyway].
Thanks for getting back. :D