Fusion Pro sequential numbering rule

Started by DigiCorn, October 28, 2010, 07:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

This Creo RIP drives your copier? What kind of copier? Do you also have a Fiery or CWS?

I presume your database is a .csv?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

It's a digital press, Corn. :laugh: Creo RIP driving a KM6501. No Fiery.

Yes, sourcing a csv when I compose jobs in FP. This is nothing new...I can't wait until I get another Spanish job so it can chew up all the enyes (ñ). Fancy stuff.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on November 30, 2012, 11:45:46 AMIt's a digital press, Corn. :laugh:
Nope. You convinced me. It's a copier. It still runs opaque toner. When it runs press ink, it will be a digital press.

You can always open the .csv in Excel  :puke: to strip out the weird characters.

As far as the large file size, without Freeform masters and imprints, my only suggestion is the break the file up with FP when imposing into easily digestible sections.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

emeditor. EMEDITOR!! or TextWrangler, or some other clean text editor will be a better choice to edit your csv than Excel. Be careful - excel will stab you right in the ass by reformatting your csv. It strips leading zeroes on zip codes, for example, if you're not watching.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

gnubler

I started with an .xls spreadsheet from the custy. I had to clean it up a bit, then save as csv. There's no way I could have seen these invisibles until they actually printed a string of garbage once FP was done with it.

I couldn't find a "Show Invisibles" type of option in Open Office so I pasted in TextWrangler.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on November 30, 2012, 03:34:12 PMI started with an .xls spreadsheet from the custy. I had to clean it up a bit, then save as csv. There's no way I could have seen these invisibles until they actually printed a string of garbage once FP was done with it.

I couldn't find a "Show Invisibles" type of option in Open Office so I pasted in TextWrangler.

emeditor (windoze) is nice in that if you tell it to, it will align the columns so you can see wtf you are doing.

Also it shows and highlights the high ascii garbage so you can see it pretty quickly by scrolling through. You can also select by column and do find and replace on things in specific columns. Yesterday I had to split a field by a garbage character so I find and replaced it with "," which split the field into 2 fields.

vdp donkey

gnubler

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on November 30, 2012, 07:07:23 PMThx. Is emeditor a freebie?

sadly no, but single seat is $39.99. We just pay for stuff like this, the potential disaster of opening csvs in excel outweigh the cost of the software. Mail, ya know?
vdp donkey

Slappy

Quote from: gnubler on November 30, 2012, 11:11:14 AMFreeform? No. From Acro/FP I export single VPS files which are imported into a Creo RIP.
Wow, you're living the exact same hell I was at the Dead Shop trying to push FP files to our Canon 7010 with that damnable Creo RIP. I ended up "solving" FP's miserable transparency crap the same way. Ridiculous to have to butcher files like that, with as far as the tech has come, but oh well.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Quote from: Slappy on December 05, 2012, 11:11:38 PMI ended up "solving" FP's miserable transparency crap the same way.

You mean "my" way? (rasterizing static art) Or is there something I don't know?

Slappy

Rasterized & replace in the InDy file. I even did entire pages/spreads in some cases.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

gnubler

Ok. So there's no magic button in FP...something like checking the "don't chew the crap out of this file" box?

Slappy

None that I ever found. Not sure if they fixed in the newest version or not, we were shut down before I could upgrade and they only use XMPie here.

t-pat

xmpie has it's own special way of mangling things, and it doesn't have an easy button either.

Had a good one the other day, ligatures went haywire in some variable text, started printing underscores where there would be "fi"

one more thing to remember, ligatures might go stupid. But have fun catching it on 140,000 records.
vdp donkey