Fusion Pro sequential numbering rule

Started by DigiCorn, October 28, 2010, 07:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youston

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 07:02:40 AMI AM PULLING MY HAIR OUR - THERE IS NO .CSV FILE!!! THERE IS NO DATA FILE OF ANY KIND!!! FOR THE VARIABLE DATA, I HAVE TO USE THE SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING RULE!!! I HAVE POINTED THIS OUT IN EARLIER POSTS!!!

Dude, calm down. And man up, ffs!

Create a PDF of each page of your ID document. Then, create a database that contains all of your sequential numbering, with another field which I'll call [image]. For each range of numbers, the [image] column will be filled with the name of the relevant PDF file.

Then, create a NEW ID file. Make the background a dynamic graphic that will change based on the value of the [image] field in your (newly-created, so don't go all caps on me) database. Then insert the number ONCE. If you've created your db correctly, the appropriate ticket should appear, along with the appropriate range of numbers.

I don't use FusionPro, so I don't know if it will do dynamic graphics, although if it doesn't I've gotta wonder why it's so popular. In XMPie this would take me about an hour to set up, db creation and all.

Otherwise, just send the damned thing out for numbering. It's easier on you, and you don't risk looking like a total douchebag when you go all caps on people who are just trying to help you.

DigiCorn

OK. Now we're getting somewhere. The first half of your answer does help, because then I just need to place the rule in the already placed box. Still 432 times, but at least it saves the step of drawing the box and punching in the numbers for exact placement.

The second part of your answer (breaking news) is also breaking news to me. I have tried to cut and paste FP items before with no luck. I am running the older version, though (6.2P1a) on Acro 8. We didn't upgrade to v7 yet. Is this something I can do in v6 or is it a new feature of 7?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

I'm using FP 6 in Acrobat 9, but I've done it in older versions, too. All I know is that I selected the variable text box with the FP "Select Frame" tool, cmd-C to copy, then went to the next page and pasted and it ends up in the same place.

I feel for you, man. FP can be difficult to use when you are under pressure and haven't used it much. Been there.

I still think it might be easier for you to print the shells first (via your usual workflow), then go back and imprint the numbers only (if your design will allow for it.)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Quote from: youston on October 29, 2010, 07:19:09 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 07:02:40 AMI AM PULLING MY HAIR OUR - THERE IS NO .CSV FILE!!! THERE IS NO DATA FILE OF ANY KIND!!! FOR THE VARIABLE DATA, I HAVE TO USE THE SEQUENTIAL NUMBERING RULE!!! I HAVE POINTED THIS OUT IN EARLIER POSTS!!!

Dude, calm down. And man up, ffs!

Create a PDF of each page of your ID document. Then, create a database that contains all of your sequential numbering, with another field which I'll call [image]. For each range of numbers, the [image] column will be filled with the name of the relevant PDF file.

Then, create a NEW ID file. Make the background a dynamic graphic that will change based on the value of the [image] field in your (newly-created, so don't go all caps on me) database. Then insert the number ONCE. If you've created your db correctly, the appropriate ticket should appear, along with the appropriate range of numbers.

I don't use FusionPro, so I don't know if it will do dynamic graphics, although if it doesn't I've gotta wonder why it's so popular. In XMPie this would take me about an hour to set up, db creation and all.

Otherwise, just send the damned thing out for numbering. It's easier on you, and you don't risk looking like a total douchebag when you go all caps on people who are just trying to help you.
Just some background for you:

I told my boss 3 months ago I was going on vacation starting after work today. On Wednesday, I got an order for 9 perfect bound books (the smallest of which is 272 pages; the largest of which is over 600). Each book requires about 2 hours of corrections/set up before putting in Rampage, plus I have to design a unique cover and generate UPC for each of the 9 books. I got this nightmare numbering ticket job which is due ASAP since the events begin in a few weeks and they need the tickets for advanced ticket sales... something I have been bugging them to get me since September (and they changed it from last year, so I can't pick up any of my previous files).

On top of those items, I have my regular workload and I'm trying to train my replacement, a web guy the boss brought in, who has never used Rampage before.

I have worked 36 hours the past 3 days (came in at 3 am yesterday and worked until 5 pm) and was here again today at 5 am. My orders were to let the new guy do the regular workload and to get the 9 books and the tickets proofed before I go on vacation.

So if I seem a little stressed, HELL YA I am.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on October 29, 2010, 07:26:10 AMI'm using FP 6 in Acrobat 9, but I've done it in older versions, too. All I know is that I selected the variable text box with the FP "Select Frame" tool, cmd-C to copy, then went to the next page and pasted and it ends up in the same place.

I feel for you, man. FP can be difficult to use when you are under pressure and haven't used it much. Been there.

I still think it might be easier for you to print the shells first (via your usual workflow), then go back and imprint the numbers only (if your design will allow for it.)
DCurry,

YOU DA MAN! Cut & paste is the MF-ing savior!
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

youston

Seems like a typical day as an American worker, to me. DCS, did you bring the tiny violin, or does Born2Print have it this week?  :rolleyes:

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on October 29, 2010, 07:40:03 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 07:30:57 AMCut & paste is the MF-ing savior!

Sweet - glad it will help.
I actually tried it once this morning before you suggested it, but I was using the drop down and right click-copying. It wasn't working. Didn't use Cmd-C and Cmd-V, but that does work. I just have to paste it 432 times and strip and print.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

DCurry,

I read that it is possible to have multiple originals numbered differently on the same signature, but not sure if it was a feature of v7 or available on v6.

Essentially, can I have 6 different originals on one form, each one with a different numbering sequence... how can I explain better/

On one form/sig can I have a ticket for Car 1 number in a stack from 1-20, a different ticket with different artwork for Car 2 number from 21-40, a different ticket with different artwork for Car 3 number from 41-60 and so on? Or do all-up on my sig have to be the same artwork (i.e. art for Car 1 only)?

If you can have multiple artwork and different numbering, how do you do it?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on October 29, 2010, 08:36:07 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 07:02:40 AMI AM PULLING MY HAIR OUR - THERE IS NO .CSV FILE!!!

So make one, ya freak.
Kinda busy. I'll let you do it for me. I need 11,425 records in the order 00001-11425 each in it's own tab delimited cell.  :cheesy:

Start typing.  :sarcasm:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Can be done in under 5 minutes, man. Do you have Excel or OO?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

youston

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 08:39:35 AM
Quote from: gnubler on October 29, 2010, 08:36:07 AM
Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on October 29, 2010, 07:02:40 AMI AM PULLING MY HAIR OUR - THERE IS NO .CSV FILE!!!

So make one, ya freak.
Kinda busy. I'll let you do it for me. I need 11,425 records in the order 00001-11425 each in it's own tab delimited cell.  :cheesy:

Start typing.  :sarcasm:

I just did that in less than 5 minutes ... don't understand what your issue is.

Edit: Looks like gnubler and I work at the same speed.

DigiCorn

Thanks. I thought I used the sarcasm icon back there.

Actually what I need help with is the FP Imposer software question I posted for DCurry.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler