Creep adjustment_Face Only

Started by frailer, July 25, 2011, 07:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We kinda missed this in our training. Posting in case anyone's missed it as well. We don't often use Creep Compensation, as our saddles are usually under 56pp.
This one's a yearly event. 128GSM/80pp. So about 4.5mm creep in centre. The option in the screenshot shows where to select 'Face Only'. It morphs the page from the outer edge, gradually, to zero morph at spine. I believe there's a similar thing available in PREPS, but I think it's globally available. Have yet to confirm that it can only be done on a page by page basis in XMF. Not terribly onerous though. I like it. I guess it's available in Sierra too.
Screenshots of 'morphed' proof over old... next post.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Shots of proofs, LH edge, RH edge.

The banding? Yeah. Whacky Magenta heads on the 7600, which I've attended to. Supposed to be ordering a 7900 this week, while we can still get the Epson factory $1,000 cash back in July.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Ear

Yep, looks just like Sierra. I use creep constantly but have yet to try the "Face Only" option. Good info, mate, thanks.
 :goodpost:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

Test it your end and see. That's what it seems to do here... No punter would ever notice a 1.5% 'morph'. Even close keyline borders stay close enough not to worry. No crossover problems.   :cool:  My biggie gets bound late today. Shall report back, but all the reproofs look good. Of course you have to have Default Creep in place, and flowing through the job, just to state the obvious.
Even on the largest page-count saddle, it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to apply to all pages. If it's not globally applicable, I'm on the campaign trail.   :whip:

Ear

Will do next creeper I get. I have been on a Perfect Bound kick this week, so no creep, but it shouldn't be long. And ya... it would be great for crossovers, if it works correctly without noticeable distortion. Otherwise, I end up selecting the crossover pages in the run list and overriding creep, which has other obvious drawbacks.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

keep us posted, this is interesting

so the only creep your applying is this "face creep" and no other creep?

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

NefariousDrO

Quote from: gnubler on July 26, 2011, 03:51:34 PM
Quote from: Tracy on July 26, 2011, 03:35:13 PM"face creep"

I dated that guy once.  :cheesy:

I think he dated my housemate, too! Maybe we can pool for a hitman?

frailer

gnubler

Quote from: NefariousDrO on July 26, 2011, 03:58:19 PM

I think he dated my housemate, too! Maybe we can pool for a hitman?

I'll "take care of" it.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on July 26, 2011, 03:35:13 PMkeep us posted, this is interesting

so the only creep your applying is this "face creep" and no other creep?

Now, back on topic... yes Tracy. What it appears to do is apply a page-size reduction, gradually, across the page. It starts at the Outer edge, moves Trim and and image at that point, in, by the required amount for where it's sitting in the book. Could be the full 4.5mm at centre... or halfway in could be 2.2ish etc.
Then it applies a non-proportional scaling of the page content, gradually, up to the spine, where the scaling has reach zero. No-one would notice. You would have to put a rule on it.
I can't see any reason to not use this for all creep compensation.

.... I guess a good way to simulate what (I think) it does, would be to do a PitStop 'Scale to Format' in GC. Take a large landscape page. Set up a rescale horizontally from, say, 300mm to 296, to simulate a typical maximum creep (like on mine). Check 'Allow non-proportional Scaling'. Watch as it morphs. Pretty sure this is what's happening.

Joe

Yes, that's exactly how it works in Preps but I think you have to have Preps 5.3.3 to get it. I use it all of the time for jobs with crossovers but I still revert back to the old way for jobs with no crossovers. Why? I have no idea, it's just what I do.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

My view here... can't see any reason not to use it all the time; not that we use Creep compensation that often. Well, we probably should, but they just don't demand it. :shrug:

Tracy

That's very cool, I remember having a problem with a job with crossovers
I don't have anything that will do face creep (I said it again) :laugh: but I think it will
be useful when I upgrade :banghead:

Tracy

me too! (back in the day I was attracted to creeps) :laugh: