Seagate momentus xt

Started by Farabomb, January 10, 2012, 09:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

A friend clued me in on this drive. I used to try an keep up with tech but then again, I was single.

Seagate momentus xt

It's a "hybrid" (I'm starting to hate that word) drive. The speed of a SSD and a the storage of a platter HDD at a price not much more than a regular HDD. It seems to basically be a HDD with a huge buffer and a firmware algorithm to keep the most often accessed files in the buffer. You get the speed (eventually) of a SSD without the cost.

I'm on the fence about getting one to try out in my netbook. It has a small, slow drive in it now that's full. I'm sure it doesn't have the low power requirements that SSDs have but I would like it a bit quicker and I need storage space. I'll have to decide after my trip.

Figure a few people here would be interested and may not have known about it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I saw one advertised about a week or two ago. Looks interesting but I'd have to see it to believe it (SSD speed).
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

You can pick up a 500g one for below $200 and the 750g one is $230. You wan the 750 though, more flash memory and better firmware. Maybe after I get my taxes done I'll pick one up.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job