Automatic Numbering In Indesign

Started by Santa, August 14, 2008, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa

So I have some tickets which need to consecutive number, when I used to build them in quark I would insert a text box on the master page with <#> typed in it and when I added pages it would consecutive number.  Can't for the life of me figure out how to do that in indesign. Any ideas?

mwc

From ID help - search "page number"

Choose Type > Insert Special Character > Auto Page Number. If the automatic page number is on a master page, it displays the master page prefix. On a document page, the automatic page number displays the page number. On a pasteboard, it displays PB.

Joe

The help file is not completely accurate. It says to use "Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Auto Page Number." but there is no option for "Auto Page Number". The choice to use is "Current Page Number" Place text box on RH Master page and select "Type > Insert Special Character > Markers > Current Page Number" and then do the same for the LH master page and you are good to go. You can add other things in the text box also like "P" and it will number the pages as P1, P2, P3, etc...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Santa

Love is a strong word but Joe and MWC you should be feeling it from me as this has been driving me crazy!

Thanks for the help.

agent_orange

you might want to look at the "data merge" feature if you want to do anything more complicated. I do order pads for a pizza place that way. Six pads across on 11x17", eight numbers (two per pad). Figuring that out seriously saved us a ton of time and money, since they come out of our digital machine printed/numbered at the same time. Then we just perf and pad them. We even give the guy a break on the price since we're saving that much time/money and still making more money than we were before. I think there was a thread on here a couple months ago about using data merge. I'll try to find it....

agent_orange

Yee-haw, I finally made Junior Member!

Found the thread but it was on PPF. You have to scroll down a couple posts. Take a look...

http://www.prepressforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-knowledgebase/3105-numbering-raffle-tickets.html