Working from Home / Coronavirus

Started by StudioMonkey, March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamsg

I've been working from home for about a week now and it's going OK., It's astonishing that everything seems to be coming to a halt except for anxiety.   :shocked:

Donomo

I start working from home tomorrow. They gave me a mac mini (circa 2011) and a 22" monitor. I took it home last night and set it up. I'll be remoting in to my work computer. It's gonna take a little getting used to, I have a 27" iMac with a 24" 2nd monitor at work. We are tweaking the work at home thing on the fly. Job tickets will e-mailed from CSR's. We have also created fillable PDF's of the forms we use frequently. One person on each shift will still be coming in to work to handle plating and proofing. Hope this virus crisis is over sooner than later.

DigiCorn

We have 2 shops. I got moved to the 2nd shop last September. Work at the 2nd shop IS SO MUCH BETTER!!! There's little interference from the main shop, and FAR LESS STRESS. It's a 20 minute further commute, but I don't want it to change. They laid off one CSR last week, and the 2nd today. The only thing remaining at the shop are the three 2-color presses, the Nuvera B&W, the ColorPress 1000 and the production guy. I still feed it from home. I don't want them to close it!!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

motormount

''the production guy'' does all the production after prepress on his own?
- supplies orders, cut/feed the paper, print and postpress ? -
Maybe he won't mind if they close it... :hangme:

Joe

Meeting at work today about Working from Home.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Boss called late in the day yesterday. We laid off one prepresser and I'm working from home. Our lead prepresser asked to be laid off; she doesn't want to come in to the office anymore. I was asked if I could come in... I have two kids at home. I said I didn't think that would be a good idea, but if they want to load paper in the machines, I'll feed it with files from here. Sounds like me having 2 hours of work to no hours of work now just jumped to 6+ a day from home. Not sure if that's exactly what I signed up, but it's better than doing nothing and drinking all day. My body can't keep doing that.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Still waiting for that meeting...rumors are that it will be at reduced hours. Well if they expect me to produce the same amount of work at reduced hours I have a surprise for them. :evil:

Tracy

Starting to get upset about employers only thinking of themselves
we have been working faithfully!

Possum

Quote from: Joe on March 31, 2020, 11:24:33 AM
Still waiting for that meeting...rumors are that it will be at reduced hours. Well if they expect me to produce the same amount of work at reduced hours I have a surprise for them. :evil:
Of course. Isn't that good business?  :sarcasm:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Pretty sure I am going to be, "the Man," pretty soon... like tomorrow soon... I have been fielding phone calls and texts the past two days that lead me to believe that. It's going to be a skeleton crew... One guy alone in the Gold River office making the plates of the files I send him and running the digital presses and offset, and doing bindery and deliveries... and the owner and her daughter at the Sacramento office writing up tickets and loading paper and doing bindery/deliveries, with me doing ALL the prepress for both shops and feeding and queueing all the digital presses. Down from like originally a dozen or so people.

I filed for unemployment today for reduced hours. My hours might actually go up, but I literally haven't worked in a week.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

I feel sorry for the guy at Gold River.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 31, 2020, 05:54:27 PM
Pretty sure I am going to be, "the Man," pretty soon... like tomorrow soon... I have been fielding phone calls and texts the past two days that lead me to believe that. It's going to be a skeleton crew... One guy alone in the Gold River office making the plates of the files I send him and running the digital presses and offset, and doing bindery and deliveries... and the owner and her daughter at the Sacramento office writing up tickets and loading paper and doing bindery/deliveries, with me doing ALL the prepress for both shops and feeding and queueing all the digital presses. Down from like originally a dozen or so people.
Welcome to The Club! I went from trying to fill an 8 hour day with enough work to scrambling around all day, bouncing from dept to dept because we laid off SO many people, we're filling in wherever we're needed. But I'm still on the payroll and maybe we'll even survive it all, I bet we won't know that until into the Summer or even Fall.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Finally had our meeting....working from home a trial basis to see how it goes. One person has to be in the office each day so we will all work at least one day a week in the office.

David

been working from home for over a week now, it's not too bad, still getting paid for a full 40 hrs, for now anyway.

My wife is a teacher, she won't be going back this year probably, they've closed all the schools till May 4th, which is close to the end of the school year anyway.

Living off our stockpile here, only going out to get a few groceries.
Deliverys are hard to get due to nothing on the shelves. My wife tried to get some stuff and the earliest delivery date was in May.

:shocked:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

How does everyone handle paperwork when working from home? I mean we in prepress make production work orders for each job and then have to print and distribute them to other people/departments. Even though they are available for everyone to look at from their PC/Mac we HAVE to have printed copies for every one because that is the way we have ALWAYS done it for the past 20 years. We can still print them from home to the work printer and the idea so far is that the person that is in the office that day will have to gather them from the printer and distribute them. The ideal scenario would be having a printer we could print to at each location but our work orders are 11 x 17 no one else that gets the work orders has an 11 x 17 printer.

:facepalm: