Display problem

Started by frailer, October 24, 2008, 12:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Tried hooking daughter's old LCD/TFT display up to a G5 at work, as a stop-gap measure.  VGA no work. It even has DVI-D. Tried that by using DVI cable from mine.
First get "No signal" message. Then if I touch a key, the green "on" light on front of panel goes orange.
It's a Polyview...i.e a no-name cheapie. No disks or anything, of course. Well, if she ever had them, they're gone...
But then, some displays just aren't meant to work on Macs, right?
Just need this confirmed.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

I'm sure you have, but gotta ask, have you tried rebooting to see if it comes on?
It should work, if you have the right cable. We use all sorts of monitors here, some we have to get the adapters, some don't.
Do you have a mini-DVI port and the adapter for it?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Monkeyman

Older monitors definitely have a chance of not working with a mac. Is there a way for you to try to do dual monitors? I also assume you tried the monitor on a more compatible system to make sure it's still working properly?
As is in all things, so must go into the night.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Monkeyman on October 24, 2008, 12:17:56 PMI'm honored to be ignored by someone. Less crap to deal with.

You do realize that someone having you on ignore doesn't reduce the crap at all, right?  YOU would have to have others on ignore for that to work..    ...i'm just sayin'   

oh, and your screw ewe avatar is offensive. I would like it removed.  :kiss:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't know what you're talking about. I must have this person on ignore. Hahahahahaha. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 24, 2008, 01:14:27 PMI don't know what you're talking about. I must have this person on ignore. Hahahahahaha. :tongue:

I think I do, too. What is PB talking about? I see nothing.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Monkeyman

Sorry, expecting fluffy stuff from me? Tough. I wrote in reference to the question, maybe you should too.

For the off topic responses this is my off topic response and feel free to skip it:

True about the ignore stuff. But I'm most likely ignored by a person who has nothing real to say anyway. So in any case, it's all good. I'm glad someone found enough time and energy to actually put me on the ignore list. Filled up part of their empty day I'm sure.
As far as my avatar, who ever said it was meant as screw ewe? I believe in making shelters for animals in need. Not my fault you read into it that way. And it seems that maybe you think I should be saying screw ewe to you. Rather presumptuous of you and I promise you IF it was meant that way, it was in no way directed to you.

Suck it up and get back to business.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: gnubler on October 24, 2008, 01:49:31 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 24, 2008, 01:14:27 PMI don't know what you're talking about. I must have this person on ignore. Hahahahahaha. :tongue:

If you don't see anything, then suck it up and get back to business.  You have nothing real to say anyway.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on October 24, 2008, 02:10:00 PM

If you don't see anything, then suck it up and get back to business.  You have nothing real to say anyway.

True, cuz if I did, I sure the hell wouldn't want to alienate the people on this board with arrogant comments. PB lighten up! :tongue: :wink: :ninja:
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

sorry sorry..   Back to work I go,  to dull my sense of living.

gnubler

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on October 24, 2008, 02:10:00 PM

Waaa waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I thought we were friends and you loved my pumpkin. I get it: "Display problem" is the title of this thread - where is the screw? The ewe? Maybe it has some sort of anti-squirrel feature embedded.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Hmmm...interesting thread-jack. I think a few people around here need some of that "Lassiter's Ego Balm" they keep trying to flog on "A Prairie Home Companion".

Anyways...did I reboot? Pretty sure I didn't; it was a last thing Friday rush. Shall try and at least do that first thing. It should be DVI-D to DVI-D. Proper ports both ends,
Could be a Homer Moment with the re-start, though. All I know is I'm a bit desperate. The last CRT is copping EMF interference, and shimmering intermittently. Causing aggro from a direction whence it radiates at the best of times.    :sad:  I know one of those 2007FPs from DELL Outlet would do the trick, but we've just had a panic spend-freeze here. Like a few of you guys as well, I guess..   :undecided:

And yep, monkeyman, it's still working. Daughter flicked it for a 2007FP, [of course]. I should hit the road selling those things.   :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Monkeyman

Quote from: frailer on October 24, 2008, 02:25:22 PMHmmm...interesting thread-jack. I think a few people around here need some of that "Lassiter's Ego Balm" they keep trying to flog on "A Prairie Home Companion".
Yes, probably so. A Prairie Home Companion, good show.

Quote from: frailer on October 24, 2008, 02:25:22 PMAnyways...did I reboot? Pretty sure I didn't; it was a last thing Friday rush. Shall try and at least do that first thing. It should be DVI-D to DVI-D. Proper ports both ends,
Could be a Homer Moment with the re-start, though. All I know is I'm a bit desperate. The last CRT is copping EMF interference, and shimmering intermittently. Causing aggro from a direction whence it radiates at the best of times.    :sad:  I know one of those 2007FPs from DELL Outlet would do the trick, but we've just had a panic spend-freeze here. Like a few of you guys as well, I guess..   :undecided:

Budget crunches everywhere I assume. Other idea is maybe the cables have gone bad? Pins bent and such? All else fails, you can find monitors for pretty darn cheap these days even though they may seem like they were made from cardboard. I assume it's not color critical device?

frailer

Nup. Not colour-critical. It just runs PREPS and Black Magic. LOL, but what's colour-critical in our room...gotta relate. Just got a Spyder-Pro setup last month, when I got a 2007FP...trying to make an effort.
Once I'd cal'd it...said to co-worker..."let me know, and I'll cal your display", [ACD 22"]. "Oh, it's OK, I've got used to the colour as it is..."   :shocked:+ :cry:+ :sad:+ :rolleyes:
I don't need to embellish further.

May even slip up to work and try and resolve before Monday. Taking new DVI cable with me.

frailer

Groan.    :embarrassed:   In my haste to get out on Friday, I'd unhooked the old CRT, without shutting down first. Had to do the "button" shut down.   :rolleyes:

Good news though, only a surprise to myself, I'm sure; it picked up the Polyview cheapie on restart. It even has a DVI-D port, so even though a crap TN panel, at least it's dig. all the way. Did a basic manual calibration, set the native res...leave it at that. And hope to f@#* I don't hear any more complaints. Hah...but I will.    :evil:

Sorry for wasting your collective time(s). It's usually something that stupid, right?

P.S. there are now no CRT displays in prepress room to pick up whatever random EMFs it was shimmering from.     :relieved: