Run Workshop in a VM

Started by scottrsimons, April 17, 2019, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Anyone running Workshop in a VM on their Mac. Trying to get around the idea of having Kodak come in to upgrade our server to 8.3, just so we can run Indesign 2019 in Mojava (with the hopes of getting ride of the painful slowness). Thinking of upgrading the Mac to 10.14 Mojava, but Workshop 8.2 won't run on it, in my testing, so was thinking of running that on 10.13 High Sierra in a Parallels VM on the Mac. But everything I try to log into Workshop it crashes. It shouldn't be this difficult.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Haven't tried it in a VM but...

I am running Mojave on my Mac and running Workshop 8.2. No issues at all. Is your issue that the installer for 8.2 won't run? Which it won't but you can copy Workshop over from another Mac and it will then run just fine.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

I was hoping to hear from you Joe. I did try that with the VM, and it didn't seem to work. So didn't want to go through the work of testing it on an actual production machine without knowing or not. But will give it a go now. Thanks.

Any thoughts on Prinergy 8.3. I haven't read all the docs on it yet, but I know it's still fairly new, and like to stay away from "new". Our server is currently a Window 2012, and in reading the 'upgrade guide' to 8.3, it says that they recommend upgrading the servers to Windows 2016. Which makes sense. I contacted Kodak just to be sure, and they said that they "need" to do it. Someone needs to be on-site to "rehost" the server. FYI.

Joe

Yeah I was considering upgrading to 8.3 but the release notes scared me away from it. Read them. It seems there are a lot warnings about if this goes wrong or this goes wrong blah blah blah...I don't have time to mess with it right now. It will run on Windows 2012 R2 Server but anytime the OS is upgraded it has to be done by Kodak. So probably over a cool $1K just for new Windows 2016 R2 Server and then usually around 2.5K for the service call. If I install it I will install on Win 2012 R2 and then bitch at Kodak if there are problems since they don't say you have to upgrade to Win 2016 Server.

And I'm not too happy with Kodak at the moment so they can bite me! :gom:

scottrsimons

It is a bit of a love/hate relationship MOST of the time. I'm only familiar with the Kodak workflow, so I have no comparisons, but even with just this there are days.... :hangme:  Although for the most part it is pretty rock solid compared to other software like Adobe/Quark and such. It's just upgrades are WAY more scarier!  You sometimes need to be a :wizard: to figure out the issues.

Joe

Love the software. HATE the company.

JohnO

We just upgraded from Prinergy 8.1 to 8.2.1 and from Windows 2008r2 to 2012. Kodak asked why not go to 8.3 and the release notes scared me off, too. One of the notes being the Oracle database redo and the recommendation of Windows 2016.  Don't want to be a crash test dummy, either.

We do run Workshop in W7 Parallels and if you do the usual host edits for your primary and jobs server, it works fine.

We upgraded the server hardware at this time, too. We always pay Kodak to do major stuff like this as there always seem to be some curve-balls in the process...if with the Kodak guys doing the upgrade.

scottrsimons

Just an update. I did get Workshop to copy over and run on Mojava on a physical Mac. So, like Joe has said, I too have got Workshop 8.2 to run on 10.14 Mojava on Mac. So, I do not need to look at running it in a VM. YEAH!!!