Avantra 44 wavy Line across film output

Started by j_sikkema, March 23, 2016, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j_sikkema

We are using an avantra 44s and just recently there is a line imaged in the film. See attached photos.  it is fairly straight by under magnification it appears to be wavy and gets erratic at the end of the film. It is not a scratch there is no mark on the emulsion of the film.  Any ideas what would be causing this?

wonderings

Is the line supposed to be there, just it gets wavy at some point? I know when we did film we had to make sure we walked softly by when it was imaging as it was vern sensitive to the vibration and lines would go wavey. It would not add lines though, it would only effect what was being imaged.

j_sikkema

No the line is not supposed to be there. I can run the same file multiple times and the line will move locations.  Has to be something with the laser and travel and blocking the path.

j_sikkema

Solved!!!!  I removed the brushes that enclose the laser, and on one of the brushes was a 2.5" long hair. This hair presumably from the brush itself, was being dragged across the film and blocking the laser beam hitting the film causing the line.  Now we have some pinholes in the film due to the opening up drum unit.  Hopefully the vacuum system will get rid of the dust eventually.  But at least there is no line on the film.

Farabomb

I'm still getting over the film part. Where do you get your film? There can't be too much left out there. I know you can still buy 35mm film thanks to hipsters but I'd think print film would be scarce.

Please don't let my boss know. I'll never get a new platesetter if he knew someone is still running film.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I know by getting rid of film the cost saving paid for our CTP units many times over. There is a reason no one, well except one evidently, uses film anymore. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

The last place I worked at still uses film. They also have a CTP, but it wasn't big enough to handle plates for the web press so they stuck with film. They did look at newer large CTPs every year or two.

Actually, they were taken over by another company last year, so maybe they finally switched.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on March 24, 2016, 10:36:17 AMI know by getting rid of film the cost saving paid for our CTP units many times over. There is a reason no one, well except one evidently, uses film anymore. :rotf:
I think we saved almost $200K in film the first year of CTP back in '04.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

wonderings

upgrading to a CTP is one of the biggest and most noticeable differences you will make in a prepress environment. Especially today with process free plates out there. When I started we outsourced our film, then eventually brought it in house, not sure of the brand. But it was a chore with all the developer and fixed. Then add masking, hunting for a spec of dust that would cause a hot spot and then again cleaning in a chemical bath. I spent many many late evenings stripping and masking for magazine type publications, 24 page, 32 page, etc etc. Now what would take me a whole day I can do in an hour or 2 with zero chemicals, no fuss, no hot spots.