Updating to High Sierra from El Capitan

Started by Tracy, October 29, 2018, 11:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy

I need to update, as Indesign will not update with El Capitan
Is High Sierra ok or should I try Sierra first?
Thanks!

Joe

Adobe Creative Cloud/Pitstop works fine with High Sierra. I have no idea about other stuff you use like XMF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

You really need to check all your software out first. I would recommend installing High Sierra as a virtual machine and try and install any apps you need. There are some older ones that might give you trouble and EFI can be a real pain as they will not support certain OS's with a clean install even though the app will work perfectly if you just upgrade your OS with the app already installed.

I know with Fiery XF RIP for our Epson 9900 it will not install the user client on a High Sierra machine but works fine as I just upgraded the OS. The only fix pay a couple thousand dollars for upgrades I do not use because they refuse to patch or do whatever they need to do to make their installer work. I think they cripple it on purpose. Again though, safest thing is a fresh install of High Sierra in a virtual machine, do all your testing there till you are confident it is all smooth or you know how to deal with any glitches.

Tracy

I have 2 macs, so I may do the one I rarely use.
sheesh, boss didn't update my XMF so I have no support right now
see what happens he will have to pay for the phone call if I need it.
This reminds me of when I was using the brisque- everything outdated!!
This is where I am headed, hence the reason I'm going to school!

wonderings

well I do understand why, they cost a fortune to upgrade and if you are paying that kind of money only so you can upgrade your OS it is a waste. Eventually I am sure I will have to upgrade my OS beyond High Sierra, or when I replace this machine with a new one I will be forced to use the latest OS. When that happens I will have to go directly to the Mac Mini we have running our RIP and do it from there rather then having a client loaded on my machine and allowing me easier access. Not a huge hassle but another step to go about to get something done that should be easy. I would certainly not pay $1500 or more for a software update just so I can sit at my desk and do it.

Tracy