Transparency ISsue with 4color PSD on top of Spot Color Background

Started by rickself, January 22, 2019, 09:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

You want the PDF Print Engine, do *NOT* flatten the transparencies. The PDF engine will render the transparencies better/correctly at output. There's a reason to not use a Postscript engine, transparency is pretty much the biggest reason.

Spend the money.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DCurry

Quote from: rickself on January 24, 2019, 07:43:01 AMI'm still working on adding a spot background in Photoshop. I also think that's the way to go if the client insists on using InDesign.

Out of curiosity, if the client built the file the same way but used Illustrator instead of ID, why do you think the results would be different?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

How do you tell the copier not to flatten?
In Command Workstation?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on January 24, 2019, 12:31:57 PMHow do you tell the copier not to flatten?
In Command Workstation?
I'm kind of curious about this myself
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

rickself

Quote from: mattbeals on January 24, 2019, 09:22:09 AMYou want the PDF Print Engine, do *NOT* flatten the transparencies. The PDF engine will render the transparencies better/correctly at output. There's a reason to not use a Postscript engine, transparency is pretty much the biggest reason.

Spend the money.
Thanks, Matt, oh Guru of PDF. Been a student of yours for some 20 years.
Knowing that transparency is going to give bad results with a PS engine through the Fiery, is it safe to say the workflow of PDF Engine (in the Fiery?), going to the Ricoh PRO C5200 S SHOULD give the end product we're looking for? Does it matter if the file is printed direct from InDesign into the held que of the Command Workstation or are the results better saving as PDF and dropping into the CWS? Or same one as the other?
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 24, 2019, 02:04:43 PMIf you print from ID you are flattening.

Yep, no two ways about that. Printing = flattening.

Import directly into CWS will keep the transparency but the Fiery withouy APPE will flatten. And most likely not very well. Even with APPE it has to flatten before toner hits paper but APPE does  a much better job than Fiery minus APPE.

But even with APPE, transparency with spot colors can cause issues. I see it often in Prinergy because designers just gotta do shit like this.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

The best choice overall would be to build the PSD file with the spot color. Transparency issues are then out the window.
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Joe

Quote from: rickself on January 24, 2019, 02:24:29 PMThe best choice overall would be to build the PSD file with the spot color. Transparency issues are then out the window.

The best choice would be to print it as process because printing spot colors is always going to be test on these kinds of devices.

rickself

And to go back to what started this whole brew-haha is that the client supplied me with a 5 color pdf -  4CP plus cool gray 11 background, stating that they have other suppliers that produce the piece without a problem.

David

yep, print it as cmyk, don't tell them, no problem.

I will bet my paycheck that's their workflow.
It's a small bet, no prob!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: rickself on January 24, 2019, 02:31:04 PMAnd to go back to what started this whole brew-haha is that the client supplied me with a 5 color pdf -  4CP plus cool gray 11 background, stating that they have other suppliers that produce the piece without a problem.

Tell me which one is Cool Gray 11 and which one is C=6 M=3 K=73

[attach width=400]19377[/attach]

rickself

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

Quote from: born2print on January 24, 2019, 03:40:53 PMNeither. They're both RGB.  :hello:

Touché. It isn't my fault you don't have a CMYK+Spot monitor! :tongue: