News:

Main Menu

Rampage box dead

Started by DigiCorn, August 01, 2011, 08:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Walked in this morning nd my Rampage box won't boot up. Dead in the water.

If I order a new server box from Tiger Direct, how difficult is it to reinstall Rampage?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Hope you have a ghosted backup of settings. My experience with any workflow.... the programs are fairly easy, it's the setting that'll take you a day or two to sort out. I had a box die a couple years ago. Once new box came in, I was able to install and restore settings and licenses with my ghosted copy in less than an hour.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 01, 2011, 08:06:26 AMWalked in this morning nd my Rampage box won't boot up. Dead in the water.

If I order a new server box from Tiger Direct, how difficult is it to reinstall Rampage?
Happy Monday!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

THAT particular drive isn't backed up, and now I'm a sad panda.  :angry:

...but I am fairly certain it's just the drive that failed and the board is intact. I once setup Rampage with a tech 8 years ago, so I think with a phone call, I could do it again. I've just heard horror stories about Rampage installs on Non-Rampage purchased boxes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 01, 2011, 08:30:47 AMTHAT particular drive isn't backed up, and now I'm a sad panda.  :angry:

...but I am fairly certain it's just the drive that failed and the board is intact. I once setup Rampage with a tech 8 years ago, so I think with a phone call, I could do it again. I've just heard horror stories about Rampage installs on Non-Rampage purchased boxes.

DEAD = No Power to anything. Probably power supply.

Power but won't boot. Probably HD.

Either way it can be fixed without getting a new PC. Unless you just want one.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I'm telling ya, Norton Ghost is the ticket. Whenever I set up a new box, I ghost a copy: as soon as settings are solid but before any substantial work is done. It makes an exact clone. You bite the dust, you can be back up in less than an hour, sometimes in minutes after receiving the new hardware.

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 01, 2011, 09:02:07 AMI'm telling ya, Norton Ghost is the ticket. Whenever I set up a new box, I ghost a copy: as soon as settings are solid but before any substantial work is done. It makes an exact clone. You bite the dust, you can be back up in less than an hour, sometimes in minutes after receiving the new hardware.

Agreed. We have a Ghost copy of Prinergy. Which reminds me I probably should be making a new one as the old one is several versions behind. :laugh:

Ear

:laugh: :rolleyes: Ya... you're still somewhat ahead of the game. Again, the settings suck worse than the actual install. If you bit the dust, you could do the original, run ghost, then run your upgrades.

Otherwise, you want to wait until you can clean out your job queue and such. Don't want to try to ghost a backup with a bunch of large, unnecessary files on it.

DigiCorn

New news... stuck with the old box. The HASP dongle is an old parallel one, plus the version of Rampage we have won't run on a newer OS. Now I'm looking for a Ultra 320 SCSI wide 68 pin internal hard drive available locally... and no one seems to have one. I'm headed out to Fry's (not listed on their website but I got nothing to lose) to see if I can get lucky.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Farabomb

SCSI? Good luck. Don't be surprised if the person behind the desk gives you a blank stare when you ask that. Ask them for a terminator for it as well just for kicks. On your way back stop at a Radioshack and ask for a 10k potentiometer and see what happens.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Skryber

I'm sure you can find an adapter.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on August 01, 2011, 09:18:51 AM:laugh: :rolleyes: Ya... you're still somewhat ahead of the game. Again, the settings suck worse than the actual install. If you bit the dust, you could do the original, run ghost, then run your upgrades.

Otherwise, you want to wait until you can clean out your job queue and such. Don't want to try to ghost a backup with a bunch of large, unnecessary files on it.

Jobs are stored on another server and archived to another server. Oracle database is backed up nightly too so doing the Ghost backup isn't that big. Maybe 80-100 gb for the whole C: drive. Maybe not even that big.

Prinergy upgrades are different than most. To go from 5.0, which is what our old ghost back is, to 5.1.2.3 means you have to have the download version for each update between those two versions. Each download is around 2.5 gb and there are probably about 4 of them. Upgrading takes a few hours to do too. I usually make a Saturday of it when non one is around.

mattbeals

Don't get a "PC" get a workstation or a server. The hardware is more robust.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.