News:

Main Menu

Feeding digital devices

Started by DigiCorn, October 19, 2011, 11:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Do any of you have the shooter on your Rampage box to feed a digital device? If not, how do you feed your digital press with electronic files?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

Most digital presses need some sort of a RIP to feed it.
We don't use Rampage, but the Xerox has the Fiery, the Kodak Digimaster uses a Kodak RIP.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

From what I remember, a shooter is just a spooler, sounds to me like david's right about a RIP in between the shooter and digi-press.
$.02
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

DigiCorn

Yeah, but our 110 RIP and our Fiery are so old they don't handle transparencies, drop shadows and some fonts. I have other workarounds, but through maybe feeding from Rampage would be the answer.

The problem is right now, without the shooter, the RIPped file going to those devices is not high res. I have to output a pdf and even when set to 350dpi everything is just slightly "fuzzy," where most people can't tell without a loupe, but fussy people can. Running the native file is obviously best, but file size and processing time are larger/longer and sometimes transparencies, drop shadows and certain fonts won't print properly.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Could I get some clarification on how Identity-H font embedding happens? Our 110 can't print Identity-H embedded typefaces - it just prints garbage instead, so I have to eliminate them pre-sending the file. Usually I use PitStop and convert all composite typefaces to outline to solve the issue, but this time it converts all but this one font.

I don't have native files on this project, and I tried to rasterize manually in Rampage and then in PhotoShop but the client rejects the proof and says the type looks "fuzzy," (which at 350 dpi and at 150 lpi is really only detectible when viewing with a loupe). At this point it's beyond my knowledge how to fix. I tried replacing the typeface with my version, but mine is different (larger) and won't work.

Also, PitStop is telling me that this typeface is "Baskerville," but when I use the Remap Font tool, it shows Adobe Garamond only.  :wtf:
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

anyone? anyone? Bueller? little help here, please!
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

honestly, when fonts are refusing to cooperate on my RIP, i just do the font outlining trick in Acrobat, via transparency flattener, as demonstrated by DCS many many moons ago.  Sometimes that works where pitstop fails.

ill admit i have no idea what an identity-H typeface is. 

David

here's a little help on the subject:

http://indesignsecrets.com/cid-identity-h-fonts-are-back.php

One of the most common ways to fix it is to outline the font, tho.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Stiv

Rampage user, have shooters. You don't say what version Rampage but I'm going to guess v10 or earlier?

I'm willing to bet the H fonts are from a PC job. That was brought back and forth, MAC to PC, at least once.

You can PS the file and refry it to PDF or save as EPS and RIP those.

I have 2 or 3 jobs a year that this issue comes up.

DigiCorn

Tried all of the above. Nothing worked. Got the native files from the customer, and went through 72 pages and outlined it. Nice of them to NOT use linked text frames and on the last 18 pages, they set all their type on 18 different master pages ( :wtf:) which didn't allow me to use the "select all" feature as page numbers and headers and footers were all variable.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Did you try it from the PC side? (EPS or PS & distill)

DigiCorn

Quote from: Stiv on October 21, 2011, 08:08:52 AMDid you try it from the PC side? (EPS or PS & distill)
yeah. First thing I did. Most of the typefaces were OpenType with a few TT mixed in, but there were two that were definitely Mac suitcases, which is why I started work on the Mac side.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Been in communication with Rampage about this. They DO have a digital press export option, and they had me download test file pdfs for review. I haven't run them to our digital press yet, but on first visual inspection, it looks like a high res bitmap or 1-bit tiff to me. The true test will be the physical output from the digital press to see if we can go that route... plus, while they are on r12, we are just on r10. We have to upgrade to at least r11.5 to get this option, which may mean a new Rampage box.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

We need to proof RIPped files on a digital press and that was a solution we were looking at but it had not been introduced yet. Last I knew it was to be a TIFF in a PDF wrap but type was to remain vector. I'll have to check it out.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Stiv on October 24, 2011, 10:23:13 AMWe need to proof RIPped files on a digital press and that was a solution we were looking at but it had not been introduced yet. Last I knew it was to be a TIFF in a PDF wrap but type was to remain vector. I'll have to check it out.
The sample file I got, the type is not vector; it's clearly raster and bitmapped. That's why I think it's a 1-bit tiff disguised as a pdf.

This is what they sent me here
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway