Preps 6 - build a half web

Started by David, January 06, 2015, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

I need some Preps help.
We have a job that will be running on our web press.
It has a full 16pp web pressform plus an 8pp half web (running to the gear side, so it's off center by half the web). The half web form is of course taller (around the cylinder) than it is wide.
When we try this, it either wants to rotate the half web so it is long across the sheet or it will split it so I have 4 pages on either side of the plate.

any ideas?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Just assign the pages you don't want as page number 0. They should disappear.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I do half webs all the time. I typically make a single-sided form, paginated as front and back, like a sheetfed work and turn, then burn it twice. The press won't care that there is image on the blank half of the plate, since they cut the fountain anyway.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

so you basically just use the 16pp as is just only load pages in the one side?
do you guys use morning bars on your webs?
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

I can't use Ear's way, I cannot have ink on the blanket (they will not cut the fountain).

For Joe's way, I would need to "lie" to preps so that my pages will come out on the right side of the press form. Basically make a set of blanks to go into the back side that would force the real pages into the correct position.
Remember, this is not a sheetwise form, the pages on the front side are on the right side of the plate, the pages for the back side are also on the right side of the plate.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 06, 2015, 01:11:19 PMI can't use Ear's way, I cannot have ink on the blanket (they will not cut the fountain).

For Joe's way, I would need to "lie" to preps so that my pages will come out on the right side of the press form. Basically make a set of blanks to go into the back side that would force the real pages into the correct position.
Remember, this is not a sheetwise form, the pages on the front side are on the right side of the plate, the pages for the back side are also on the right side of the plate.

No, Preps will only see it as 8 pages on the half web. We use it all day every day.

Joe

Quote from: david on January 06, 2015, 01:11:19 PMI can't use Ear's way, I cannot have ink on the blanket (they will not cut the fountain).

Missed that on the first go around. Probably the easiest way would be to set it as flat work with 2 sheets. Then use independent pages.

David

eh, screw it. With the layouts on this job the independent pages won't work either. Too many press forms.
I am moving on to an imposition program that you can actually do real work with...  Esko

thanks for all the ideas!  Cheers!
Livin' la Vida Loca