News:

Main Menu

Esko to Nexus

Started by G_Town, May 29, 2008, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

We normally take in illy files from a customer and import into artpro which we use for all of our prepress fodder.

We link the hires from the separator to the AP file so if images need to be altered we don't have to start over.

Well said customer now is having someone else get the files ready for press and we are being told they use "Esko" my question is how can they supply us "press ready" ie..trapped, colorbroke...files but still be editable like AP files are.

Any Esko users out their can give an idea?

Zimmy3

Quote from: G_Town on May 29, 2008, 01:17:25 PMWe normally take in illy files from a customer and import into artpro which we use for all of our prepress fodder.

We link the hires from the separator to the AP file so if images need to be altered we don't have to start over.

Well said customer now is having someone else get the files ready for press and we are being told they use "Esko" my question is how can they supply us "press ready" ie..trapped, colorbroke...files but still be editable like AP files are.

Any Esko users out their can give an idea?
We are suppling printers with all sorts of files daily....from Esko and from ArtPro.
Im a little confused on your question....can you re-explain the situation?

Because it feels good !

G_Town

We use Artpro/Nexus combo.

The company supplying the files uses a Esko workflow (not AP/nexus) I'm guessing deskpack as these are folding cartons. They initially said they would supply us with screened DCS2 files, the problem with that is that this is a press  ok and the customer usually wants a file change or two so I need to be able to edit the image. Not ever having used Barco/esko I have no idea what their file options are.

I have called eskographics to ask them..still waiting btw to see if they can give me some insight.

Zimmy3

Are these jobs complex with loads of ct's and effects ?  or just vectors.
Esko can give you just about anything you want Illy,PDF etc.
They're might not be live fonts though.
Because it feels good !

G_Town

Quote from: Zimmy3 on May 30, 2008, 06:35:21 AMAre these jobs complex with loads of ct's and effects ?  or just vectors.
Esko can give you just about anything you want Illy,PDF etc.
They're might not be live fonts though.

Yea, drop shadows, effects and almost total image coverage, you  might say they are a bit bizzy. Live fonts are not needed.

David

you can export a pdf from Esko that is trapped and colorbroke, it will just lose any layering done (like the trap layer will be merged down).
It should still be fully editable in Artpro.
I don't think the drop shadows and any effects would be a problem as long as they export it as PDF 1.4 or higher.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Yea my problem is how do I edit the image if needed?

David

I'm not familiar with Artpro, how do you normally edit images?

The Esko export would give you basically a Mac PDF file. You could use the touch up tool in Acrobat and that would open it up in Photoshop.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

Quote from: david on May 30, 2008, 12:24:19 PMI'm not familiar with Artpro,.............
It's the same thing as Barco.....but different... :grin:
Because it feels good !

David

that's what I thought.

If you get a Mac PDF file:
do you still normalize in Artpro (similar to Esko)
and do your images get converted to CTs (like in Esko)?
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Talked to eskoartworkbarcopurupsystems and they basically tell me the same thing PDF.

Artpro is a propriety format (some call it illustrator on steroids) that allows you to import PDF. EPS CAD and PS files. Once imported all vector data becomes native artpro and is fully editable. Images are converted into tiff files and are saved out during import. All trapping and colorbreak, spots, transparency can be edited in AP. Depending on the modules you can do image editing, imposition etc.

We typically place/link the hires supplied tiff into the AP doc replacing the FPO that was in there so if an image needs to be changed on press you make your PS correction resubmit the AP file and make a new plate.

The thing I really love about AP is that once a job is converted from whatever DTP program into native AP you NEVER have a RIP issue (at least I never had) it also fully support ADOBE trans and has for a while. I'd hate to be going native apps to the rip again :wink:

David

did they (eskoartworkbarcopurupsystems) give you any suggestions on how to manage this new workflow you're trying to do?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

Quote from: david on May 30, 2008, 12:39:07 PMthat's what I thought.

Either or....I can convert to tifs or leave them as original psd....with some exceptions as you know....transparencies,shadows,gaus blurs etc.
Because it feels good !

G_Town

G_Town

Quote from: Zimmy3 on May 30, 2008, 12:45:53 PM
Quote from: david on May 30, 2008, 12:39:07 PMthat's what I thought.

Either or....I can convert to tifs or leave them as original psd....with some exceptions as you know....transparencies,shadows,gaus blurs etc.

Zimmy what do you mean as leave them as org psd?