Enfocus announces strategic partnership with Monotype to solve missing fonts

Started by abc, September 10, 2013, 06:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc

PitStop 12 brings cloud-based access to thousands of fonts

According to our customers, missing fonts are the most common problem print professionals are having when working with PDF files. Until today, these PDF files needed to be sent back to the client to replace the missing font, or the font needed to be bought.

Enfocus and Monotype have teamed up to provide a 21st century solution for this ancient problem. In PitStop 12 you can easily embed missing fonts from the cloud via the Monotype Baseline Platform.

http://www.enfocus.com/en/monotype

StudioMonkey

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

abc

At the moment it's $1.49 per font per document, but when you create an account you get 10 credits free.
This also works with the trial version of PitStop 12 so you can put it through it's paces for free.

Joe

I can tell you this feature works well but...

If you want to keep an unmodified version of your PDF make a copy before you try this because when it embeds the font in question it does an auto-save of the PDF.

And just a reminder that you are not buying the font where you have an actual copy of it for later use. You are just paying to have it embedded into that one document. And if a customer sends separate PDF's for each page and they all have the same font that is not embedded you would need to combine the PDF's into a single PDF in order not to have to pay $1.49 for each single PDF.

Also if the font is not in the Monotype library it is not going to work, for example if it is an Adobe font.

It is nice to have this option. I'm just not convinced we will use it much as I know our customers would throw a fit for an extra $1.49 on their print bill. Seriously.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

abc

Hi Joe, there's more fonts up there now, they are constantly being added and not just Monotype fonts, there's Adobe fonts available now as well I believe.

The good thing is you can give it a try and see if what you need is there without committing to buy

Joe

Thanks for that info. Previously it was mentioned it was only monotype fonts.

I just got my iMac back from the shop and re-installed CS6 so hopefully I can try it out.

t-pat

someone here is convinced that this service can also be directed at a local library or directory of fonts, and find and embed what's missing (without a purchase). Can it? If not, can you make it do that?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

I think both Pitstop and Acrobat preflight profiles can do that already if the font is open on your local system. But no, I don't think it will work if you do not have them open.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on September 10, 2013, 10:29:39 AMI think both Pitstop and Acrobat preflight profiles can do that already if the font is open on your local system. But no, I don't think it will work if you do not have them open.

It works if they're open, my issue is that I have to go find and load them in a massive archive of fonts. Lazy that way.
vdp donkey

Joe

abc

Just to clarify, if the font is available on the local system PitStop will use that.
That's the way it's been forever

If the font can't be found locally, and if you enable it, it will look at the Monotype cloud

Also fonts are never purchased automatically, it always requires an operator clicking a buy button.

Also you get a lot of information so you can make an informed 'buy' decision so you know there are no other issues that make buying the font a waste of time

Joe

Quote from: abc on September 10, 2013, 11:27:34 AMJust to clarify, if the font is available on the local system PitStop will use that.
That's the way it's been forever

If the font can't be found locally, and if you enable it, it will look at the Monotype cloud

Also fonts are never purchased automatically, it always requires an operator clicking a buy button.

Also you get a lot of information so you can make an informed 'buy' decision so you know there are no other issues that make buying the font a waste of time

Only if it is activated though, correct? Or will it search your whole system for fonts and embed them as needed?

t-pat

I suppose this is a fairly obvious and missing feature, but yeah, I have a giant repository of fonts and I'd love it if Pitstop would look there for the fonts and not depend on my dumb ass to look up the font names and go fish for them, when I know they're there in a folder, somewhere.

Anyway, I was just confirming that it doesn't do this so that when we buy it he's not shocked.
vdp donkey

DCurry

Sounds like a great idea. Sadly, it's yet another cost that printers will probably absorb. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to automatically bill the PDF creator whenever it is invoked?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

t-pat

Quote from: DCurry on September 10, 2013, 12:18:49 PMSounds like a great idea. Sadly, it's yet another cost that printers will probably absorb. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to automatically bill electrocute the PDF creator whenever it is invoked?

fixed
vdp donkey