News:

Main Menu

Any other users?

Started by frailer, September 26, 2009, 04:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Will be having this installed in a few weeks. The APPE successor to Celebrant RIP. Not many users in the U.S., maybe, but I know there have been a reasonable number of installs here, and would be a few in the UK as well, would imagine.

Welcome any experiences/tips/problems solved...

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Have a dumb box in situ to play with until Mon 19th. The GUI is a bit Kinder Surprise meets Mario Kart. My young compadre is unimpressed with the onboard Impo. I guess he'll be droppin' imposed PREPS stuff in for a while.   :laugh:
TBH, I don't know exactly what an ideal interface for pp workflow would be, but I have a vague idea, given my short career on the digital side of things. One thing I'm less vague about, is I doubt whether there were any experienced pp people there when they built it.   :rolleyes:

It'll work though, including the impo. Like any stuff like this...after a while, you don't think about it.
 Screenshots when we're running and hooked up, for anyone who has a slight curiosity about it.
Oh, it has a check-box which eliminates the dreaded 'White Overprint'. Just as well; if it didn't, I would not be happy, Jan!

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Looks like any other APPE I guess.    (See attached shot).  It works... 

Joe

Similar...only different than Prinergy. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

For anyone coming to XMF, or upgrading from Celebrant, be sure to get the installer, or yourself, to set Trapping initially, to "Normal".

Ours was set to "Centred". Nearly got badly burned. Picked up the inappropriate Trap setting at the 11th hour. Subtle...well not so, really. Coulda been an expensive mistake.    :shocked:

frailer

Posting a shot of (part...there's more on the scroll-down), the Imposition>Signature Window. For anyone who's vaguely interested.
Works pretty well, all-up. Some odd stuff you have to do to achieve certain things, but overall, not bad. My time spent in Dynastrip has stood me in  good stead though.   :laugh:  Anything's gotta be easier than that. 

Also has the "Split Page for Left/Right Binding" too, for Spreads. Same as Prinergy, and other APPE 'flows, I guess. Great having stuff like that built in.

polbol

I have XMF 2.5.4... cool soft. 5 used have celebra 5.3.
APPE Conveniently, imposishion. jdf and preps 6.

russia.

frailer

You sure are up to date polbol. Have you got the Imposition module, or bringing PREPS 6 JDFs in instead? And how do you like PREPS 6?

Post any other comments on problems...or good stuff, even.   :laugh:

Welcome to b4p, too.   :cool:

Sorry, re-reading your post, looks like you have the Imposition. v2.6 had just been released the day before our install, so we scraped in without the hassle of an update later. It's definitely improving; and am quite getting used to it. They placed an extra Menu Bar Item for re-arranging Sheets into groups for Section Sewn impositions. This is a great feature. Once you have your entire Impo built; just drag them into sub-groups for the sewn sections. Numbering will flow accordingly. I used to make up separate jobs in Dynastrip for these. Someone told me that you can achieve this in PREPS, but have a feeling this is a workaround of some sort.
Shall post screenshots on Monday.

frailer

From the Help on Assembly Sections. new to current version.
Screenshot below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Assembly Sections
The Assembly Sections panel shows a list of the sheets in the Imposition grouped into Assembly Sections.
Create New Sections
Create new sections by splitting existing sections as follows:
Select a sheet and click on the 'New Section' button, or right-click on a sheet and select 'New Section'.
A new section will be created containing the selected sheet and the subsequent sheets in the section.
Delete Sections
Sections can be deleted by merging two sections as follows:
Either click the bar between the two sections and click the 'Delete' button, or right-click between the two sections and select 'Delete'
Change the Binding Style of Sections
The binding style of a section can be changed as follows:
Either select a section (or sheet in a section) and select the binding style from the Binding Style drop-down list at the bottom of the panel, or right-click on the section and selecting the binding style from the menu.
Changing the Position of Sheets
Sheets can be dragged to change their order, or to move them from one section to another. Sections can be adjusted by dragging the divider between two sections.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

polbol

We while independently study XMF a demo.
I use the help.
We do not have output equipment CtP
We try tiff export

In Ipmosishion there is no analogue collation mark preps (1,2,3-sigcollzd.eps)

frailer

Are you talking about bringing in collation marks from PREPS? We don't use them; most of our stuff smaller saddle-stitch.
If you are bringing in JDF from PREPS, v6 of PREPS supports MIME. No need for separate Marks folder on server. All info will be in the JDF.
Just in case it's relevant.   :undecided:

polbol

I think using JDF better when working with MIS. (sale-prepress-press-postpress). With only faster prepress work preps-> ps, pdf-> RIP

sorry my english, I use google translator   :rolleyes:

frailer

No worries on the translation, It'll do. If you don't have the imposition, JDF from PREPS would be a must, forgetting MIS stuff. It will allow you to do a certain degree of imposition editing within XMF, including, I am led to believe, the all-important late page replacement.
Just to bear in mind, is all.

polbol

Now we use a paper model of the entire order. him transfer the information into Preps. Basic templates perfect and saddle. 8 and 4 pages sheet. (16-1, 8-1, N-11.)
We have the organizational the problem, the director decides to buy or not soft-hard. And the performers often do not have detailed information about the product.

human factor :))
preps, xmf, pitstop this our personal initiative

frailer

A bit hard for me to work out what you have, rather than what you would like. So, you have PREPS+XMF? Without the Imposition in XMF? I know you've stated above that you jhave it, but are you still on Celebrant?
The Imposition inside XMF is very good. Not without some faults, but I'm sure they will iron out bugs and add features. The fact that it's integrated is a huge plus.