News:

Main Menu

Preps 7

Started by jmaciag, November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

[attachimg=1 width=200 align=left]Then when you go to impose you click the name of the press run and click the Signature button as shown to the left.

[attachimg=2 width=200 align=left] That opens the Book section where you can assign your section to any group of pages. For example you could leave it like it is and the first section would be 1-8 and 25-32 and the second section would be 9 - 24 as it is a saddlestitch book. If it were perfect bound the first section would be 1 - 16 and the second section would be 17 - 32. Or you could make both sections A1 and A1 and that would create 2 16 page sections with 1 - 8 and 25 - 32 (2 up) for a SS or 1 - 16 (2 up) for a PB.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Okay - I did know how to do that, but that's what screws up the form numbering on the screenshots I posted earlier, where it throws it off by +1 the number of sections you have. For example, on your 32 pages, if you ran 4 long 8s and had each one a different section on Form 1, $sig would come back as Form 1, but on Form 2, $sig would come back as Form 5.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It shouldn't. In my example it is 2 16's and not 8's but either way it should work. In my example I would add the text ID on the sheet twice:

Job: $[impplanname]                                                                         Sig: $sig - $side   Web: $web    $date $time $COLOR

The first one assigned to sig 1 and the second one assigned to sig 2. When output the first one would show as Sig: 1 - A on the front, Sig: 1 - B on the back and the second one would be Sig: 2 - A on the front and Sig: 2 - B on the back. In my imposition if I duplicated the sheet 10 times that would give me 20 sections. And they would be numbered 1 through 20. Not sure how yours are jumping from 2 to 5

Joe

In your earlier screen shot you have sig 11 selected and it shows as Form 11. Should it not be like that?

You have 9 press runs but 3 of them are multi-sections giving you a total of 12 signatures. It looks right to me.

Or are those not setup as multi-section but it makes them appear that they are because of the independent page? Why are you using an independent page? Different page size from the others?

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2016, 08:42:04 PMIn your earlier screen shot you have sig 11 selected and it shows as Form 11. Should it not be like that?

You have 9 press runs but 3 of them are multi-sections giving you a total of 12 signatures. It looks right to me.

Or are those not setup as multi-section but it makes them appear that they are because of the independent page? Why are you using an independent page? Different page size from the others?
They are Independent pages because they are ganged items of different sizes. I am thinking we need to use $[implanname] instead of $sig because the powers that be here want pressrun 9/aka form nine to read "9" on the mark and not "11." I have a perfect example to test out right now. I'll check back in a bit when I'm done.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

$[impplanname] will just give you the name of your imposition plan. I don't think that will get you there.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 04, 2016, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: david on January 04, 2016, 05:53:08 PMare you trying to get a specific name to appear in the job identifier?
We usually use the "signature naming", put whatever you want there, and then use a text string to put that into the identifier.

like this one here:

$[Compound_%jobname%_$SigName_Side_$Side]
where you see "$SigName" is what will appear in the identifier from what you have in the signature name field.
it's the $SigName that's screwed up

Are you sure you are using $SigName. That should give you the Press Run name which is Press Run 9 in your example. $Sig gives you the actual sig number which is what I think you are using since it is returning 11.

Joe

I think you could also use the Prinergy variable mark $[Sheet] as that should give you the sheet number which I think would be 9 as well. Kodak advises not mixing Preps variable marks and Prinergy variable marks in the same mark though. Look in Prinergy Help for Prinergy variable text marks. There is a slew of them. A lot more than Preps has.

DigiCorn

hmm... my thoughts didn't work...

Let's say I have 48 4.25x7 pages on a s/w form. They are broken up into 4 sections (signatures) of 12 pages each. What string would I use so that in Section 1(A2), it will read: Sig 2, Section 2 (A3): Sig 3, Section 3 (A4): Sig 4 and Section 4 (A5): Sig 5 - FTR Section 1, Sig 1 is the cover; it's a saddle stitch book. Right now we place a text mark and manually type, "Sig 2," etc.

Normally we don't do this in sections; I was just trying it out.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I'm kind of confused now by that question. Lets go back to your earlier example...

In your earlier example you had A1 thru A5 in Press Run 1 through 5. Press run 6 had both A6 & A7, Press Run 7 had A8, Press Run 8 had A10 & A9, and Press Run 9 had A11 & A12. If you only put one text mark on the sheet using $Sig it will put, in your example Form-1 thru 5 on Sheet 1 thru 5. Run 6 will have Form 6 because you only had one mark on the sheet and it by default is assigned to the lowest number section (A6). Run  7 will have Form-8. Run 8 will have Form-10 (or 9...not sure exactly which it will have---the first section listed or the lowest number) and run 9 will have Form-11. If you change that mark from $Sig to $SigName I think the sheets for press Run 1 thru 9 will have Form 1 thru 9 on it.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2016, 09:22:49 PMI'm kind of confused now by that question. Lets go back to your earlier example...

In your earlier example you had A1 thru A5 in Press Run 1 through 5. Press run 6 had both A6 & A7, Press Run 7 had A8, Press Run 8 had A10 & A9, and Press Run 9 had A11 & A12. If you only put one text mark on the sheet using $Sig it will put, in your example Form-1 thru 5 on Sheet 1 thru 5. Run 6 will have Form 6 because you only had one mark on the sheet and it by default is assigned to the lowest number section (A6). Run  7 will have Form-8. Run 8 will have Form-10 (or 9...not sure exactly which it will have---the first section listed or the lowest number) and run 9 will have Form-11. If you change that mark from $Sig to $SigName I think the sheets for press Run 1 thru 9 will have Form 1 thru 9 on it.

Totally different from what I'm doing now.

We have a workaround for that. We take the imposition, open arrow click one of the pages and make it independent. We resize it and fix bleeds accordingly (as it chop cut) and it DOESN'T add a new section so $sig works for proper form numbering.

NOW I am working on a 48 page saddle stitch book, but my sheet is being cut down into 4 12-page sigs and I'm wondering, other than manually typing "Sig 2," etc. is there a way to create multiple sections on the same form, and have a string in a text mark that identifies the sections.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Nevermind $SigName. That gives you the actual signature name...just like it sounds it should. :rotf:

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 06, 2016, 09:31:14 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2016, 09:22:49 PMI'm kind of confused now by that question. Lets go back to your earlier example...

Totally different from what I'm doing now.

We have a workaround for that. We take the imposition, open arrow click one of the pages and make it independent. We resize it and fix bleeds accordingly (as it chop cut) and it DOESN'T add a new section so $sig works for proper form numbering.

NOW I am working on a 48 page saddle stitch book, but my sheet is being cut down into 4 12-page sigs and I'm wondering, other than manually typing "Sig 2," etc. is there a way to create multiple sections on the same form, and have a string in a text mark that identifies the sections.

Yes. As I explained earlier you just add the text mark to the sheet as many times as sections that you have and assign each mark to a different section. See below.

DigiCorn

I missed that last step. I'll check it out after lunch... right now I've got a new issue... I put creep on as usual and it went the opposite direction.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

That is providing you have the template setup as 4 sections here: