When showing digital proofs ...

Started by Stiv, January 28, 2011, 09:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

do you put verbiage anywhere on your proof approval sheet regarding color drift or holding color over long runs?

I think that certain customers have too great of an expectation of holding a color over a long run, or when the job is reprinted and the color doesn't match exactly.

I'm thinking of putting that into the proof and having the customer sign off on it.

mwc

Quote from: Stiv on January 28, 2011, 09:10:57 AMdo you put verbiage anywhere on your proof approval sheet regarding color drift or holding color over long runs?

I think that certain customers have too great of an expectation of holding a color over a long run, or when the job is reprinted and the color doesn't match exactly.

I'm thinking of putting that into the proof and having the customer sign off on it.

Part of our TACOS document (Terms and Conditions of Sale) - boilerplate page that follows all Proof and Spec approvals....though nobody looks at it...

11.   Color Proofing - Because of differences in equipment, paper, inks and other conditions between color proofing and production pressroom operations, a reasonable variation in color between color proofs and the completed job is to be expected. When a variation of this kind occurs, it will be considered acceptable performance.

beck

Quote from: Stiv on January 28, 2011, 09:10:57 AMdo you put verbiage anywhere on your proof approval sheet regarding color drift or holding color over long runs?

Nope.  If the customer bitches, or returns some with color variation (even minute variations), we'll send the Sales Puke out to settle them down, credit their account, depending on how big the customer is.

We've had customers send back 5 or 10 samples out of a 100,000 carton run, demanding their account be credited for those cartons...OK, here's 37 cents off your bill.  :wtf:

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

jimking

I'd really think long and hard about adding language that could feed a fire, make excuses etc. It could open a can of worms.

DigiCorn

Quote from: mwc on January 28, 2011, 10:15:02 AMPart of our TACOS document...
Mmmmm. Tacos!  :banana:

Here's ours:

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

All the verbage and forms in the world still don't mean anything. There will always be customers that expect something for nothing and the bossmen keep kissing their...  :kissass:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Another reason why I hate this country's society. The whole "customer is always right" BS. What I'd love to see are more customers getting permanently fired for the cheap-ass bullshit and possibly even punched in the face (if needed).
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

beck

Quote from: gnubler on January 28, 2011, 11:03:25 AMAll the verbage and forms in the world still don't mean anything. There will always be customers that expect something for nothing and the bossmen keep kissing their...  :kissass:
AMEN, Sister!
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

gnubler

Quote from: beck  on January 28, 2011, 11:08:47 AM
Quote from: gnubler on January 28, 2011, 11:03:25 AMAll the verbage and forms in the world still don't mean anything. There will always be customers that expect something for nothing and the bossmen keep kissing their...  :kissass:
AMEN, Sister!

Like the laws of the land, it's just crap that someone wrote on a piece of paper. In the end only one thing talks: MONEY.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 28, 2011, 11:06:06 AMAnother reason why I hate this country's society. The whole "customer is always right" BS. What I'd love to see are more customers getting permanently fired for the cheap-ass bullshit and possibly even punched in the face (if needed).

There is some corporate bigwig that wrote a big article on that and the fallacies of the "customer is always right" policy. One of my sayings when someone throws that up is "Bullshit, OUR customers are NEVER right!"
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on January 28, 2011, 11:37:45 AM
Quote from: gnubler on January 28, 2011, 11:06:06 AMAnother reason why I hate this country's society. The whole "customer is always right" BS. What I'd love to see are more customers getting permanently fired for the cheap-ass bullshit and possibly even punched in the face (if needed).

There is some corporate bigwig that wrote a big article on that and the fallacies of the "customer is always right" policy. One of my sayings when someone throws that up is "Bullshit, OUR customers are NEVER right!"

It's ridiculous. Another reason this is a nation of pussies. I've traveled to other cultures/countries and have definitely experienced the "get the fcuk out of here" feeling from businesses when I complain about something (so I tend to keep my mouth shut)

jimking

Quote from: gnubler on January 28, 2011, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 28, 2011, 11:37:45 AM

It's ridiculous. Another reason this is a nation of pussies. I've traveled to other cultures/countries and have definitely experienced the "get the fcuk out of here" feeling from businesses when I complain about something (so I tend to keep my mouth shut)

You could say we've become a nation of whores. We are bought and sold. I will say there are  two industries where customer service takes a back seat or where a CSR is told to be rude to the client and that is Banking and insurance. The both of them can kiss my Italian, Irish, Greek, English, Scottish, American Indian ass.  :kissass:

gnubler

I've always found collections agents to be quite pleasant.

You sound multi-cultural, sir! I'm just native, of the motherland.

jimking

Not all collections. Health insurance just plain out ripping people off. Wells Fargo are pathetic schumbag thieves who took welfare from the American taxpayer and are now putting the big squeeze on millions of Americans in ways most people would be shocked if they knew exactly what they are doing at the behest of foreign investors.