Going Digital... Like everyone else. Advise.

Started by Aaron, March 03, 2011, 03:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

So it's come down to financing. As long as we can get credit, we will be a high end commercial printer with a brand spanking new digital department.

So, words of advise? Any general suggestions? What to be ready for, words of advise implementing this new workflow.

Probably ending up with a Xerox 800 and will be learning VDP from scratch and learning what/how to send files to this beast.

One thing I did like, the Xerox 800 uses the Adobe Print Engine 2.1 (or 2.0, can't remember). So it should handle the PDF files very similarly to the way Prinergy does, right? Please!

sidebar - was reading a number of threads about jpg compression. The storefront peeps are trying to convince me jpg compression is safe. Anyone using it successfully? Maybe with jpg 2000 it's more stable?
Prinergy 6.1, UpFront, Magnus Quantum 400 , Epson 9880, Insite 7.0, Sonora

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

We run a streamlined JPG workflow here. Makes pages "pop".  :sarcasm:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

yeah gnubler, I was reading your post earlier. Did you every get the compression to behave?

"You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts." -- John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

gnubler

Are you talking about transparency & flattening? That doesn't involve JPGs, the Walmart of file formats amongst customers. My RIP on the digital color machine can't handle transparency with spot colors (white boxes, etc).
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Aaron

2 different question. Jpg compression seems to be the devil. And I know transparencies are also devilish, but I thought since the 800 uses the Adobe PDF Print Engine it won't be flattening the files, correct?

DigitalCrapShoveler

JPGs are meant for the innertubes. NOT printing.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

The masses love JPGs because it's all they know. I refuse to even print them. Dirty. Batch resave as TIFFs.

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on March 03, 2011, 03:05:19 PMSo it's come down to financing. As long as we can get credit, we will be a high end commercial printer with a brand spanking new digital department.

So, words of advise? Any general suggestions? What to be ready for, words of advise implementing this new workflow.

Probably ending up with a Xerox 800 and will be learning VDP from scratch and learning what/how to send files to this beast.

One thing I did like, the Xerox 800 uses the Adobe Print Engine 2.1 (or 2.0, can't remember). So it should handle the PDF files very similarly to the way Prinergy does, right? Please!

sidebar - was reading a number of threads about jpg compression. The storefront peeps are trying to convince me jpg compression is safe. Anyone using it successfully? Maybe with jpg 2000 it's more stable?

APPE will bomb if it runs across a PDF that has an image that is using JPEG 2000 compression. EVERY time.

No, JPEG compression is not OK. Not even the high quality one. Screw the storefront peeps and use ZIP compression for PDF's.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Joe

It bombs when it tries to trap it. Of course with digital you don't absolutely need trap so it may not be an issue. And it may only be a problem with the Kodak RIP because Kodak acknowledges it is a known issue in Prinergy.

Aaron

Interesting. Guess I will stay away from jpg compression all together. Like I have been doing. But the Storefront guys have a point. If customer are going to be ordering through this system and uploading files, ZIP compression really doesn't reduce the file size much. They are going to be sending rather large files. Oh well.

As for the APPE question, I am correct right? If the digital press print engine is the APPE, I shouldn't have transparency issues, as long as the customer prepares the pdf correctly and doesn't flatten the file.

Tracy

whenever I have a transparency issue with the color copier
I output from indesign high res trans flattener, it works
someone might be able to say why it works. tee hee

delooch

Quote from: Aaron on March 04, 2011, 07:43:11 AM"I shouldn't have transparency issues, as long as the customer prepares the pdf correctly and doesn't flatten the file."

:lmao:

good luck with those customers.... i would not bank your success on the skill levels of your clients.

Joe

Quote from: Aaron on March 04, 2011, 07:43:11 AMInteresting. Guess I will stay away from jpg compression all together. Like I have been doing. But the Storefront guys have a point. If customer are going to be ordering through this system and uploading files, ZIP compression really doesn't reduce the file size much. They are going to be sending rather large files. Oh well.

As for the APPE question, I am correct right? If the digital press print engine is the APPE, I shouldn't have transparency issues, as long as the customer prepares the pdf correctly and doesn't flatten the file.

I wish it were that easy. I don't have many issues with transparency with APPE but something will crop up every now and then. Also we don't flatten until the colors are separated and screened. Your flattening will be done to a composite file so I wouldn't declare that you will never see transparency issues. Hell, I see transparency issue at the digital copier on files that have already been flattened. The only guarantee is that issues will pop up. None of this crap works as the salesman tells you it will.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on March 04, 2011, 11:45:25 AMNone of this crap works as the salesman tells you it will.

Really?  :laugh: