Color output issues on our Xerox 700i

Started by Fontaholic, April 07, 2015, 06:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

For the most part, I haven't had too many problems with CMYK output on our Xerox 700i digital color "press", but a new job has me stumped and I'd appreciate some feedback.

This customer's job has what appears to be -- on screen, at any rate -- a teal blue background with some dark teal (pretty much a green) lettering.  On screen, it looks fine.

But when I print it out on the 700, the teal background is a lot darker and you can barely see the lettering.

Since the files were creaetd in Photoshop and given to me as PDFs, I thought maybe the problem was RGB to CMYK conversion.  The designer sent me the PSD files and informed me that the teal background is a "HEX value of #19B2BC".

Now I'm wondering if that isn't the problem right there -- HEX vs. CMYK?

Our shop deals strictly in either Pantone spot colors or four-color process, nothing more advanced than that, so I asked the designer if he was trying to match any Pantone colors out there, but no response yet...

This is the CMYK breakdown of the teal background:  C=74 M=7 Y=27 K=0

These are the CMYK breakdowns of the green lettering:  C=93 M=51 Y=56 K=33

If anyone wants to see/play with the actual PSD files, I can send them your way.

Any and all help is appreciated!  :)

Cheers, John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Fontaholic

Welp, did some fadiddlin' with CMYK and discovered that C=50 M=0 Y=20 K=0 is about the closest I'm going to get.

Customer's barking for the job, so that's what they're gettin'.

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Fontaholic

I took some pictures with my iPhone's camera -- will have to see if I can log on through the phone and upload them from there.
Never had color shift as bad as that before!  o_O

Made in Taiwan

Just did a short test print on our C7000. On the left side I had the document set up in RGB, with the background color #19B2BC and afterwards converted to CMYK (my CMYK values are 81/4/29/5, I guess it's because my color settings are set to convert to ISO coated V2 300, so that's why my CMYK values might be different from yours...?).
On the right side, I've just used your CMYK values directly. 

The two background colors are slightly different, but they still have a lot of contrast to the text. I took a picture with it: Click me! 
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.