Automatic Aliasing to Uncoated Spot Colors

Started by AaronH, July 19, 2019, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Does anyone know how to do this? The Fuji techs seem to have gave us a default color naming rules management that seems to convert everything no matter what the spot was named to the coated version of it. Whether it is a CVC, CVU or U color or whatever, it gets converted to Pantone # C. I tried making a new ink pool that does the same thing but converts to Uncoated. Unfortunately, even on a new job template, I can't get the darn colors to map to the U version. They stay as C, even though the uncoated ink pool is selected in page prep in the new job template. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

mc hristel

We are using Prinergy here and under the color handling options you can set it to either use a lookup table(library) for color handling, or honor the color values in the file, which would probably be the best solution if available.

Not sure what you are processing your jobs through, but it sounds like your system is using a lookup table/library to tag colors and only library available is for Pantone coated. As such, it's defaulting everything that gets processed to the coated version of your spot. If it is staying a spot and running on a conventional press it shouldn't matter if it's tagged C or U for the final printed piece, since the spot will print whatever color the ink loaded into the press is. The trick would be to proof it accurately being the wrong version. Assuming you only have the Coated library installed you would need to add an additional library for uncoated and any other versions that you regularly use. I haven't had to do this myself, but I believe you can get libraries from the Pantone web site, or you could try Fuji. They should be able to provide you with what you need.

Diddler

When in your Ink Pool do you even see the CVC, CVU, or U versions? Like the screenshot attached or do you only see "C".
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

AaronH

I have all of the variants available, but they're under an arrow... It looks like somehow they're defaulting to the coated version.

pabney

The colorant naming rules regular expression is what changes the colors.
Select the one you have and edit. In the edit box hamberger drop down you should see a rule for converting all to U. It is the last option on my system. This should change all colors to the U name.

Diddler

Hi Aaron,

What happens if you try and take out the rule converting your colours? Looks like everything mapping to "C" currently
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

AaronH

What I tried doing was make a new ink pool and map all to U in the hamburger menu, it looks like it should do it, but it doesn't when I setup a new template to use that ink pool.