VNC client for Mac OS X 10.7

Started by mattbeals, November 08, 2011, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

COTV (Chicken of the VNC) doesn't appear to works too well when running on Mac OS X 10.7 and connecting to NON-10.7 clients.

The "serving" Mac in question has 10.6.8 and is using Apple's screen sharing with VNC access. The remote connecting Mac is 10.7.x. Does anyone have a suggestion on reliable Mac VNC clients? JollyFastVNC doesn't seem to play well running on a 10.7 client accessing 10.6.x.

I suppose I may have to use an alternate VNC server...

Thanks for any leads.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

t-pat

it's not an answer to your question and not free but I've found on mac to mac remote control that ARD works a bit smoother. May be just as incompatible between versions of OS though.
Best vnc client I've used on mac is COTV but I'm only running 10.5xx at home, connecting to XP and WIN7 servers.

FWIW also not free but for some reason we use Timbuk2 here at work, I'm told it is "better". I have not had the need to remote into my desktop yet though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'll get Nick when he gets in, he has been having the same issues. Apparently, he got it worked out. I will have him post his solution.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

COTV has been sucking lately on a Mac OS 10.6.x to a Mac OS 10.6.x connection so I've been using LogMeIn which seems to be working well on that OS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Joe, LogMeIn and TeamViewer are not an option but would be workable in a different circumstance

T-pat you are absolutely right, ARD is the right way to go for a number of reasons but not in the budget for this particular need.

DCS, that would be great!
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

DigitalCrapShoveler

He should be any time. I've been watching out for him. Stand by...
Member #285 - Civilian

Slappy

Ever tried CoRD? It doesn't appear to have had any updates since April or so of this year, but it's open source at least. I use it on the 10.4.x Macs here to access our Prinergy boxes & while it doesn't have many features, it's certainly usable.

Ah, just saw this in their Support Page:

"CoRD works on Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 and only with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Protocol, also known as Terminal Services. VNC and the built in OS X remote desktop server aren't supported by CoRD. We currently have no plans to add VNC support to CoRD."

Bummer.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Nick Burns

I use built-in Remote Management for server. Make an alias to System -> Library -> Core Services -> Screen Sharing built-in app for client.

In Safari, you can type a url like...  vnc://10.0.0.12  ...then before hitting return drag the bookmark and now you have a 1 click shortcut.

This surf took me forever to find for controlling PC with Apple client... [Ctrl] [Alt] [Del] = [shift] [control] [option] [command] [del]

Note, this must be done on a full size keyboard with the little square [del] key, it won't work with the rectangular [delete] key.

Speed is awesome even over tunnels.

For 64bit Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 I use UltraVNC with their referenced 3rd party mirror driver. RealVNC free I use for older Windows.

I've played with all of them and these seem to give the best responsiveness.
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!