The Goog

Started by DigiCorn, July 22, 2011, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Boss went to lunch, delivery/bindery guy is on vacation, and pressman just went out on delivery so I'm here alone. The phone rings on a back line (not the main line). Upon answering I am greeted with: "This is NOT Google. Would you like your Google information updated? Press 1 for 'Yes,' 2 to decline. Once again, this is NOT Google."
 :wtf:
I feel like it's that episode of Futurama when the Brain Spawn are going around the universe gathering information for the Infosphere to end the world and defeat the Nibblonians.
http://theinfosphere.org/Infosphere

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

so you pressed 1, right?

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

you know there is a secret code to getting rid of these robo calls.
When you answer the phone and you recognize that it is a robot, press these keys in order:
2 (if the call is still on the line, then press
3 (if the call stays on the line after that, then press
6 (if the call is still on after that, then press

Most of the robo calls are programmed to remove you from the call list by hitting one of those numbers (not sure, but I think it's a law or something like that).
Normally you'll hear " thank you, your number is removed from....
I usually hang up by then cause I'm off the list.
My number of robo calls have significantly decreased since finding this out a few years back.
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Thanks for that david!  :goodpost:

I used to know a bunch of cool phone tricks. Not quite "Captain Crunch" level hacking, but still pretty cool. Not sure if they work any longer on modern systems?
Like if you dialed a certain code, then hit the plunger once then hung up = the phone would ring itself.
My friend and I used to tie a pull-string firecracker to the payphone line at the zoo and set up the self ring, poor tourist would answer the phone and the bang would just about make them jump all the way back to Toledo!  :evil: :evil: :evil:

The birth of hacking:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Draper
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

David

what a guy, major talent.

QuoteDraper wrote EasyWriter, the first word processor for the Apple II, in 1979. According to The Wall Street Journal, he hand-wrote the code while serving nights in the Alameda County Jail, then entered the code later into a computer.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: david on July 22, 2011, 02:16:51 PMyou know there is a secret code to getting rid of these robo calls.
When you answer the phone and you recognize that it is a robot, press these keys in order:
2 (if the call is still on the line, then press
3 (if the call stays on the line after that, then press
6 (if the call is still on after that, then press

Most of the robo calls are programmed to remove you from the call list by hitting one of those numbers (not sure, but I think it's a law or something like that).
Normally you'll hear " thank you, your number is removed from....
I usually hang up by then cause I'm off the list.
My number of robo calls have significantly decreased since finding this out a few years back.
This gets the award for the BEST POST!  :banana: :grin:
Thank YOU david.

(2nd best post goes to Gnubler's stripy socks :naughty:)
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on July 22, 2011, 04:06:41 PM(2nd best post goes to Gnubler's stripy socks :naughty:)

:naughty: Ditto.

Speaking of socks and whatnot.... a friend of mine has been wearing a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers toe shoes. They look amazingly strange and he says they have changed the way his feet and body feels. I gotta get me a pair.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

They will complement your ape-like appearance quite nicely. Do they have more of a taupe color for us lighter skinned African Americans?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Why yes they do. Check the website... very cool.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

I take it you have never worn toed socks? 4 out of 5 dentists agree they are incredibly uncomfortable.

I'll stick with thongs.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Makes note.... must talk to daughter about downloading 'Hackers Wanted'.
He sounds like a curmudgeon, and all-round nice guy. Some people just have minds hard-wired like that at birth.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2011, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: Sabrina The Turd Polisher on July 22, 2011, 04:06:41 PM(2nd best post goes to Gnubler's stripy socks :naughty:)

Speaking of socks and whatnot.... a friend of mine has been wearing a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers toe shoes. They look amazingly strange and he says they have changed the way his feet and body feels. I gotta get me a pair.

I spend most of my time barefoot but I can't get myself to wear those. There is just something about them that puts me off. I'll stick to my Reef sandals with the bottle opener in the bottom.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Farabomb on July 25, 2011, 07:28:46 AM
Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2011, 04:20:04 PM

I spend most of my time barefoot but I can't get myself to wear those. There is just something about them that puts me off. I'll stick to my Reef sandals with the bottle opener in the bottom.

Ya, shoes in general suck. I have a wicked flip flop tan. However, if I must wear shoes, I think this looks like a good option. I spend a lot of time running around in the dense woods and streams... barefoot or sandal is not a good option for this.

Farabomb

I have a pair of Nike air jesus sandals for in the woods but normally I'll just use my trail running sneaks. Those would probably make good water shoes though.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job