Linotype

Started by Stiv, October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

http://vimeo.com/15032988

Linotype: The Film is a documentary about Ottmar Mergenthaler's amazing Linotype typesetting machine and the people who own and love these machines today.

:old:

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Thanks for the post! Will have to check that out.
...always loved the name "mergenthaler".
Sounds so...so...TOUGH.

"I am Mergenthaler, do not F with me"  :laugh:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Funny, that's my last name! :punchy:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

born2print

Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 01:38:03 PMFunny, that's my last name! :punchy:
John Jacob Mergenthaler-Smith?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

gnubler

Quote from: born2print on October 26, 2011, 02:00:34 PM
Quote from: gnubler on October 26, 2011, 01:38:03 PMFunny, that's my last name! :punchy:
John Jacob Mergenthaler-Smith?

No. His Highness Sir gnubler Mergenthaler.

You can just call me "High" for short. :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

rickself

Quote from: Stiv on October 26, 2011, 09:27:20 AMhttp://vimeo.com/15032988

Linotype: The Film is a documentary about Ottmar Mergenthaler's amazing Linotype typesetting machine and the people who own and love these machines today.

:old:
Those were pretty neat machines to operate.
I got into printing as a hobby in jr high school setting type from type trays, then went to community college and worked a linotype machine. Almost got my finger ripped off in the machine and replaced with hot lead one day. Twas bout that time the MacPlus came around. Thank God for THAT! Now I'm in prepress and still trying to figure out what happened.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

hotmetal

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

A little before my time....

I will say, the Lino 330 was the absolute epitome of imagesetters. Loved that machine. Not a finer machine of that type in existence; a total workhorse.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 02:40:38 PMA little before my time....

I will say, the Lino 330 was the absolute epitome of imagesetters. Loved that machine. Not a finer machine of that type in existence; a total workhorse.

The 3030 was a beast and weighed more than a tank. Good times.

hotmetal

I'll never forget when the typeshop I was at bought an early postscript imagesetter, around 1989 (not a Lino, however) and the young smartass salesman threw a floppy at me and said:  "Lino this, quick!"

Glad that "verb" didn't stick around too long!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 26, 2011, 02:40:38 PMA little before my time....

The 3030 was a beast and weighed more than a tank. Good times.

Never used anything larger then the 560, (18" film). Service Bureau days, large format film was not in huge demand here.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

We used to output fully imposed flats from Quark 3. Output film, burn plates, so long traditional strippers.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2011, 03:06:04 PMWe used to output fully imposed flats from Quark 3. Output film, burn plates, so long traditional strippers.

We could do half sheets on 18", but strippers used to bitch about registration. And so ended the use of all capstan imagesetters.
Member #285 - Civilian