News:

Main Menu

Platemaker pay?

Started by G_Town, November 17, 2016, 03:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

What are you paying your plate makers, just plate making nothing else except for maybe cutting blankets?

Does anyone even have just straight platemakers anymore?

born2print

Not so much these days.
Here you either "took on multiple tasks" or "broadened your scope" or "collected a pink slip"
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

David

you pay these guys?!?

damn, all I got was a nanner sammich.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

My platemaker says "Platerite" on the side... he collects no paycheck. I stuff a few hundred plates in him, every day and he just does his job. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: G_Town on November 17, 2016, 03:44:00 PMWhat are you paying your plate makers, just plate making nothing else except for maybe cutting blankets?

Our platemakers are also our proofers
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Quote from: G_Town on November 17, 2016, 03:44:00 PMWhat are you paying your plate makers, just plate making nothing else except for maybe cutting blankets?

We had a person that was dedicated to making plates only until 2009. She didn't have any other prepress skills i.e.: digital skills and I think the going rate back then was about CDN$15/hr. The company laid her off in '09 and put the platemaking burden on the remaining 4 ppl in prepress. We share the platemaking duty now.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

G_Town

Quote from: andyfest on November 21, 2016, 09:39:43 AM

We had a person that was dedicated to making plates only until 2009. She didn't have any other prepress skills i.e.: digital skills and I think the going rate back then was about CDN$15/hr. The company laid her off in '09 and put the platemaking burden on the remaining 4 ppl in prepress. We share the platemaking duty now.

Thanks, anyone else with a answer I can pass on to HR : p

SpicyVindaloo

Ours make over $19 and will help out with cutting down proofs if need be.

Farabomb

If yours make over $19 I need a job at your place. That's shockingly close to what I get paid and I'm a one man band here.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: G_Town on November 22, 2016, 12:19:32 PM
Quote from: andyfest on November 21, 2016, 09:39:43 AM

Thanks, anyone else with a answer I can pass on to HR : p
No

SpicyVindaloo

Quote from: Farabomb on November 22, 2016, 01:18:08 PMIf yours make over $19 I need a job at your place. That's shockingly close to what I get paid and I'm a one man band here.
If you want to move to Phoenix, AZ let me know! It's getting really difficult finding competent prepress help. Especially for 2nd or 3rd shift.

wonderings

We have never had straight platemakers, always combined with the prepress department. Though I can't imagine doing what I do now and still having time to make film, strip it and burn it to plates. Thankfully it process free now,  make the plate, pull it out and put it in a folder and I am done.

Farabomb

Even when I started in the industry 15+ years ago there wasn't a dedicated platemaker at our shop. I was hired as a proof maker, meaning I fed the 4 up polaproof it's CMYK media sheets. After one of the film platemakers took a unscheduled vacation (coke binge) for a week, I had to learn real quick how to burn plates. The production manager realized I'm not a window licker and I began my learnings of the dark arts of prepress.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job