News:

Main Menu

magic photo cubes

Started by motormount, September 19, 2016, 03:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

Does anyone knows how's this things are massed produced?

A customer wants 3000 pieces, and google search provides me with hand crafting solutions...

I think one could print the ''inner'' parts on an ''open'' cube and then use printed sticker to unite the ''folding'' parts, that makes the big pictures, still too much hand work, for budget like a dollar for each of them...

Thanks in advance!

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

motormount

It's the customers quote - if i'm using the word right - for a dollar each, so outsourcing is out of the question.

Another problem might be that we are located in Greece...

Now cost's here in Greece may be even lower than the costs in the states, but i don't think you can beat someone who's doing this over and over while we are trying to figure out how is done, so i'd expect our production costs to exceed the customers billing expectations.

Thanks anyway!

wonderings

Maybe it is something you need to look at outsourcing. Get a quote from a trade printer or someone who does these speciality things. You may find somewhere that gives you trade pricing. While you will not make as much money, you do make some and you do not have hand work putting 3000 of those things together.

Ear

Quote from: motormount on September 20, 2016, 01:17:23 AM...so i'd expect our production costs to exceed the customers billing expectations.
Sounds to me like your customer needs to adjust their expectations.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 21, 2016, 10:54:13 AM
Quote from: motormount on September 20, 2016, 01:17:23 AM...so i'd expect our production costs to exceed the customers billing expectations.
Sounds to me like your customer needs to adjust their expectations.

How dare you!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Oh I dare. Try it... you'd think it would be super inflammatory, but I think people know when they are expecting too much and just never get called on it. I first used it with an irate client and they calmed right down. A few times since... sparingly.... don't want my luck to run out.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I kind of had this issue with a customer last night. He uploaded his paper and approved all pages. We then lost all internet/email and phone service. About 3 hours later he shows up with his laptop and wants to replace three pages. Whining about how he tried calling and emailing and couldn't get through. I told him plates had already been output and he would have to pay for new plates seeing as how he had already approved the pages before we lost service. He was not happy. Said he was going to complain to the owner. I told him go ahead. Makes no difference to me.

Turned into an adventuresome night as we never got service back last night. We don't get good cell service inside this big metal building. Turned my phone into a wifi hotspot so I had internet access on my iMac through my phone. Had customers email their files through Gmail and then downloaded them to my Mac and put them into Prinergy. It worked pretty decent. Tip: Gmail doesn't have any size limits that I know of for attachments. One customer emailed me a 614 MB ZIP file. Took about 15 minutes to download from Gmail through my phone to my iMac. Downside was I tacked on 1.35 GB onto my data plan.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic: magic photo cubes

Ear

See... keep jumping thru hoops and it will be expected, next time... until the end of time... Just say no. To everything.

born2print

We have a secret motto:
If we can't fix it... we won't
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 21, 2016, 11:39:12 AMSee... keep jumping thru hoops and it will be expected, next time... until the end of time... Just say no. To everything.

Well the owner was going to send a driver to pick up the disks for last nights jobs. One was in Arkansas and one was in northern Indiana with a few more little closer. He said plan on an all nighter. I thought my option was the better option for ME! :rotf:

Farabomb

I'm a sucker for jumping through hoops but it's not for the customer, it's for this place, no matter how shitty it can be. Being nice to customers just gets you direct calls from them thinking they are their personal bitch. I just sent a file... no shit, you and my other 100 customers did as well and I need to to take a look at... no, put it in the email and maybe if I'm not a seething ball of rage when I get to it I'll see what I can do.

Every time we bust our ass to flip a job quick the customer thinks "well, if they can do it that fast..." and they chop off a few days on the next one. They don'e ever remember all the rushes that didn't have a rush charge but tack that on a bill and see how quick they squeal. I understand running a business isn't easy. Help out the customer and he might remember that next time. Piss them off and they will go elsewhere and bitch about you to everyone. That long time customer you bent over backwards for? They will bounce to another shop if their price is $.02 lower. I know, it happened to us.

I'm not saying be a dick but don't be so quick to drop to your knees just so you don't "loose" the customer. Most have no loyalty at all and are more problems than they are worth.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Joe on September 21, 2016, 12:09:15 PM
Quote from: Ear on September 21, 2016, 11:39:12 AMSee... keep jumping thru hoops and it will be expected, next time... until the end of time... Just say no. To everything.

Well the owner was going to send a driver to pick up the disks for last nights jobs. One was in Arkansas and one was in northern Indiana with a few more little closer. He said plan on an all nighter. I thought my option was the better option for ME! :rotf:
Oh I agree, and probably would've done the same.... I'm just Saiyan, you might want to add some GeeBees to your data plan.

In my case, it would be: "I know you're home, but didn't you do some jobs on your phone a couple weeks ago? Just do that real quick." :death:

Farabomb

How do you work in the same place, in the same department yet we have never met?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear