Exporting to pdf to reduce total ink coverage

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, June 29, 2015, 02:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Has anyone ever had a pdf that has come in with too much ink coverage for uncoated paper and exported out of InDesign to reduce it?

I tried exporting with a uncoated profile and could only get the maximum down to about 300 percent, we're hoping to get it to about 265.

Unfortunately there is no way to edit the pictures in photoshop, there is too much tranparency going on.

Ear

Have you tried a PitStop Action on the PDF, to convert all images to a SWOP color definition that has limited density?

Or, you should be able to re-target in the RIP and change the rendering intent.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

mattbeals

You  need a device link profile to do this correctly. Send me a sample page/job and I'll run it through a device link. Can it be done other ways? Yes, but with more problems than it's worth.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

pspdfppdfxhd

I've been tagging the images/art through pitstop to a uncoated SWOP profile which SEEMS to be working.... i don't think the job is super color critical so this may be enough (?)

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 29, 2015, 02:28:44 PMI've been tagging the images/art through pitstop to a uncoated SWOP profile which SEEMS to be working.... i don't think the job is super color critical so this may be enough (?)

I have a newsprint profile which limits ink density to 240. The problem is the customers claim it looks washed out the screen (uncalibrated, unapproved, un-color-managed display) and want it to look bright, contrasty, clean, and sharp (uncalibrated, unapproved, un-color-managed display) but not print too heavy. Can't win. :hangme:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

i am just wondering if at our un color managed rip if the ink density will remain intact......... one of the pictures in this piece had 400 percent ink coverage for 60lb. offset, not good, the ink preview in indesign shows its all under 270, which is ok, but will it separate to the ctp that way?

Joe

What does the PDF from InDesign show in Acrobat? If it is 270 there is should output at 270....or lower depending on what your RIP CM does.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

yes, 270 in acrobat and 270 when placed back into indesign when imposed for output. the rip is not doing any cm so i cant see why it wouldnt work.

pspdfppdfxhd

Seems to work, i made an image in 100 cmyk (400 percent) copied it on the same .indd document then opened the pdf and left one box as is and tagged the other one in pitstop to a uncoated profile. Checked the preview at the rip and lo and behold it did change the tagged box.

Tracy

Please elaborate how you are creating this profile, I am very interested.
Thanks!

pspdfppdfxhd

just using the pitstop convert color panel and changing the profile from coated to uncoated, the US Sheetfed uncoated v.2 I believe.
I'm no genious but it seems to work ok.

Tracy

Possum

Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2015, 02:53:36 PM
Quote from: pspdfppdfx on June 29, 2015, 02:28:44 PMI've been tagging the images/art through pitstop to a uncoated SWOP profile which SEEMS to be working.... i don't think the job is super color critical so this may be enough (?)

I have a newsprint profile which limits ink density to 240. The problem is the customers claim it looks washed out the screen (uncalibrated, unapproved, un-color-managed display) and want it to look bright, contrasty, clean, and sharp (uncalibrated, unapproved, un-color-managed display) but not print too heavy. Can't win. :hangme:
Doesn't Pitstop have a "Pop" setting? As in, "make it pop?"
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

Quote from: Possum on June 30, 2015, 02:20:24 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 29, 2015, 02:53:36 PM

Doesn't Pitstop have a "Pop" setting? As in, "make it pop?"
You're thinking Photoshop, my dear. :cheesy:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black