News:

Main Menu

Nexus 8.5 r3

Started by whoami, October 15, 2007, 08:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoami

Nexus 8.5 revision #3 was just released.

Joe

Man, it's about time. Hopefully this one is usable.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

whoami

I think it will be but I have been wrong before.  I'm staying positive.   ;)

T

The OptiRange bug is suppose to be fixed. (I had an issue with 8.5.2) :o

whoami

There was also an issue with the Librarian Database not being recognized in the trapper. 

Joe

I get a "Wrong dongle type" when I go to the download center for one of my two dongles but it made the software so maybe it's just a fluke. The link for the changelog for 8.5.3 is broken so I got support to send it to me. Here it is:

Change log version 8.5.3 (build 22)
Note that if you have specific issues you would like to discuss with us, feel free to contact your local EskoArtwork support department.

Nexus Import and Nexus Processor
Bugfix for an OPI Error for linked PSD-images.
Bugfix for inconsistent OPI Image Replacement.
Bugfix in the Select File which fails to select by Artpro documenttype.
Bugfix for the different size from artpro file to JT file without warning.
Bugfix for aplaced file using spefic page box
Bugfix for inPDF files which imports blank.
Bugfix for the Import activity for an object with radial gradation.
Bugfix for an import issue where a character didn't appear in the ArtPro file.
Bugfix for the "use image downsampling" in the print to file activity.
Bugfix to avoid a hanging Processor when no cff2 file is available when needed.
Bugfix for missing objects when export to an eps..
Bugfix for import objects with sharp corners that are converted to round.
Bugfix for the options "1 bit" & "Save Fast Forward" in the gravure tiff activity.

Nexus PDF Processor
Bugfix for the Decorate GW who won't run on W2000 Server.
Bugfix for the 'JDF to PDF' activity error 'Input JDF file cannot be used.'
Bugfix for errors flagged by Pitstop profiles that stopped the workflow.
Bugfix for some PDF Files causes the PDF Flattener to Fail.
Bugfix for a speed flattening issue.

Nexus RIP
Bugfix for the Assembler cal curve options which were not saved in PPD.
Bugfix for the expose Epson activity which was not working properly on OSX.
Bugfix for a NeXML file export with wrong parameters.
Bugfix for an "Error getting type" when using XML file..
Bugfix for the RTL output to match the output resolution..
Bugfix to remember the Exposure setting in Agfa Highwater module.
Bugfix to load an EPS file for Slug parameters in the PS interpreter.
Bugfix for Epson output which was not working on OSX.
Bugfix for the PS Interpreter to recognize the EPS color information.
Bugfix for the Expose Kodak Proof activity who didn't send correct screening data to Approval
Bugfix to respect the inkorder of inPDF files in the PDF RIP
Bugfix to save the optirange settings in Assembler.
Bugfix for the 'Unknown Error' in the Raster Trapper
Bugfix for "Unknown painting exception during painting error" in the PDF RIP
Bugfix in the Epson workflow to exclude separations

Nexus Manager
Bugfix for the EscPConvert Module where the IP addresses was not retained
Update of the Japanese dictionary.
Bugfix padlock comes unlocked in Symphony Control when window is reopened
Bugfix to load the Zerox PS Printer PPDs.
Bugfix to export the output device correctly in the NeXML file.
Bugfix for the message "Error getting enum" when restoring a workflow.
Bugfix to allow editing of manual traps in the Raster Trap activity.
Bugfix to allow drag and drop on 'Run File' window when Nexus is running on OSX.

whoami

How the heck did you get them to send it to you???  I asked them and they said they couldn't send it to me.  Maybe they don't like me cause I bug them too much.    Thanks a lot for posting it.

Joe

I actually didn't ask. I just reported their link wasn't working and they sent it to me and said the link should be fixed by this afternoon.

On an unrelated topic, I sent them a PDF made from InDesign CS3 that used some fancy text shadows. I get an error in Nexus about type 5 and 6 shadings and the file won't go through. They say that right now Nexus Doesn't suppoort that type of shading and won't until Nexus 8.6. The work around for now is to save the file out of Acrobat 7 or 8 as a PS file with In-RIP separations and run that through Nexus.

whoami

I'm not too familiar with InDesign.  What exactly are type 5 and 6 shadings????  I was asking around the shop and nobody really can explain to me what they are. 

Joe

They are some of the text effects that you can do in InDesign CS3. They are about as extensive as the ones in Photoshop. I guess it's great for designers to be able to do this in the page layout app but it sucks for RIP manufacturers and prepress people.

Joe

Installed 8.5 r3 in production last night. Seems pretty solid right now. Ran a lot of test files through without any problems. Absolutely love the new Nexus Manager. Seems much more responsive and you don't have to kick it to see new jobs. The new "Filter by" on the front works great so I can view the jobs I want to instead of having to scroll through loads of unimportant co-worker jobs. I've never cared much for the "Detailed View" in Nexus Manager so now you can actually resize the listing area in the main view.

Still won't run CS3 PDF's with type 5 & 6 shadings but Nexus had already told me that won't be in there until 8.6.

Thumbs up Esko Artworks!!!

EmptyWords

Well, finally got a chance to test out the new revision 3 of Nexus 8.5 and still get the same error at the TotalRip PDF module, this same error has happened with us for all of the revisions of 8.5, talked to tech support before and they told me it's my workflows (of course) and to rebuild them and I did and I still get the exact same error.

So, had to pull this version too and move back to 8.4.4, since we cannot get any preps imposed jobs to run, kinda sux, since the difference in speed of processing w/ the new version is blazing. Oh well...

Anybody else having any preps jobs error in the rip's TotalRip PDF module???
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Joe

What kind of error are you getting? I'm assuming you are making a PDF from Preps for Total RIP and dropping that on a hotfolder? What version of Preps?

whoami

QuoteWell, finally got a chance to test out the new revision 3 of Nexus 8.5 and still get the same error at the TotalRip PDF module, this same error has happened with us for all of the revisions of 8.5, talked to tech support before and they told me it's my workflows (of course) and to rebuild them and I did and I still get the exact same error.

So, had to pull this version too and move back to 8.4.4, since we cannot get any preps imposed jobs to run, kinda sux, since the difference in speed of processing w/ the new version is blazing. Oh well...

Anybody else having any preps jobs error in the rip's TotalRip PDF module???

How exactly are you running preps with Nexus?  Right now we Import the job into Nexus and Trap the Artpro file in Artpro.  Then we export an ps from that trapped Artpro file.  We get that postscript and run it through a links workflow where it creates eps links to the hires oppo files.  We impose those links in Preps and print out a imposed ps with the low res links inside.  Then we run it through our plates workflow where the links get swapped for the HiRes oppo files.  Then we screen it and send it to plates. All with no problem.  Of course we are running 8.2 with our preps people but we are going to soon move them to our 8.5 TotalPDF rip.  What does your workflow look like when you set up preps on the TotalRip???? And what error are you getting???  Soon we are going to get another preps station but before we put it in production I am going to test it with 8.5.

EmptyWords

Joe, we get a missing font error in the TotalRip module, your right, we make a pdf out of Preps, we are using Preps 5.2.2 (build 400) on a PC.

Whoami, the way we are working now is the file (pdf) from app goes to Odystar, gets pre-flighted any problems are either fixed or flagged for further review, then trapped through Ody w/ vector traps, that file then gets imposed in preps manually, we then save the final imposed pdf file from preps and run it thought a hotfolder to the Nexus rip running on a Quad core intel mac xserve, Nexus rips the files to plate for our Presstek.

The old version (8.4.4) works fine other than a random abort on files, but at least we can get files to plate.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy