News:

Main Menu

Reinstalling CS4

Started by DigiCorn, June 30, 2020, 02:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I know that everything Adobe CS5.5 and prior, the activation servers are no longer running. I reset my home workstation and lost my CS at home. I am reinstalling CS4, but it won't accept my CS3 serial number. Any ideas on how to get it installed?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Use the CS4 serial number. :)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Nope.

Even after you enter it, and then enter a valid CS3 upgrade serial number, it still won't accept it. There's a trick to installing it with the servers down, but all the links on Adobe's forum are dead.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I do see some posts that state you have to use the original installation files that you got with the original purchase. Downloading new CS4 install files from the Adobe website won't work with the original CS4 product key.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I am using the original disks. Because of how it worked back then, it was technically an "upgrade," so you need to have the previous version's serial number, which I do have. Since the servers are down, it won't "activate." Not sure I am hosed at this point or not. Seems to me there must be some sort of workaround.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

I kinda remember that too. I believe you have to install the version (CS3) of the serial number you have. Then you can "upgrade" to CS4.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

AaronH

I'm not sure how you'd get it to work without calling Adobe. I tried installing my CS5.5 at home on a new computer, none of mine have CD drives anymore, so I tried to download the installer and Adobe doesn't host downloads for their older installs anymore either! !&&(#*9@!
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

I never did figure it out, but the company told me to go ahead and install the 2nd (currently unused) license from CC at home, so I ended up with the newest version.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DigiCorn

...pretty cool until you realize that the jobs are all Mac, and you're only Windows...

a word... fonts...
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca