Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on August 09, 2019, 03:46:23 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 09, 2019, 03:32:24 PM
Even a new share with 'public' checked?

Yep. Its a no go.

That is telling me something is wrong with your settings there. Might be that the firmware update hosed something. Will it let you apply the same firmware again? And I assume you have tried completely powering off the NAS and then starting back up since the firmware was initially installed?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

I can't go back per say. Technically I can. You can download the firmware straight from LaCie, then you have to put it on a bootable thumb drive and power the NAS back up with the thumbdrive and a special USB key. That key is the big issue that puts a damper in things - I don't know where it is nor what it looks like. The also unfortunate thing, is that it wipes the NAS clean in doing so, and would need to be re-setup. That may not be too bad and may fix things. I downloaded the NAS firmware from before the update but I'll be talking to my production manager here and see what his thoughts are. He used to be a networking tech for a large grocery chain here in town several years back and he's been a big help besides you in figuring this out.

I'm also thinking about trying to figure out how to go back from Mojave. Our Font software claims it doesn't support Mojave, but runs on it. Also I've never had the Adobe programs freeze and lock up on me so much. Simple less than 1 MB PDFs lock up Acrobat like no other. I can't figure it out. Didn't Mojave come out a year ago? I'd think a month out before the next big release they'd have ironed out the bugs. Also, XMF is super blurry/pixellated on the 5k iMac monitor, everything else is super crisp, it's weird.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Mojave: I've had to remove the free version of Linotype Font Explorer from the Macs we have running Mojave for the very reason of "Adobe programs freeze and lock up". Every time we would start Acrobat (and FileMaker Pro) the computer would become unresponsive for 3 minutes. Once you waited the 3 minutes for each one everything worked after that. Until you had to restart Acrobat for Filemaker Pro.

We also had the "super blurry/pixellated on the 5k iMac monitor" with Prinergy until we whined long enough to Kodak to fix their software. Software has to be coded to support 5K or you will see the fuzzies.

AaronH

We're using FontAgent Pro by Insider Software. It's a pretty nifty font management program. Unfortunately, version 7 doesn't support Mojave.

It's possible that XMF was blurry/pixellated on Sierra. I just didn't notice it because Mojave really crisps up the screen.

The only gripes I have are the blurry XMF (Which is Fuji's doing - Lack of updates/Not updating fast enough) & Acrobat taking forever to open PDFs and crashing a lot.

Joe

We used font agent pro back in the day and switched to Linotype Font Explorer when it was free. Now we use the Users/~/Library/Fonts folder. ;D

AaronH

I found a way to go back without a USB key. I'm getting it scheduled to power off tonight and downgrade the firmware to an older one that worked.

Quote from: Joe on August 12, 2019, 12:06:47 PM
We used font agent pro back in the day and switched to Linotype Font Explorer when it was free. Now we use the Users/~/Library/Fonts folder. ;D

How frequently do you need to clean that folder out? I've noticed when we have a lot of fonts activated it slows the machines down a lot.

Edit: Also how does that handle duplicate fonts?

Joe

We have folders made for different jobs. Sort of like homemade font sets. Move the folder in the fonts folder when needed. Move them back out when we are done with that job.

Joe

For fonts named exactly the same if you copy them into a folder that has a font named the same it will overwrite the old ones if you want. Takes care of duplicates that way. :)

AaronH

AaronH

New question, not really sure if it needs a new topic or not...

Prepress folks, (not just Joe), do you work on your desktop and then copy files to a file server or do you just work off of the file server? If you do work off your desktop, when do you copy files to a file server? Inquisitive minds want to know.

Not saying there's a wrong way to do it, I just have a funny feeling we've been doing things "wrong" for, well, forever. I've pretty much been trained by the same guy (no bad will to him), at both shops (he got me the job to replace him at my current shop and had a hand in some of the training of the guy already here) so there's like zero training on using Pitstop correctly, color spaces and such, XMF training and what not. I've learned almost everything I know by trial and error. The one training I have actually had for real, was by a dude from the PACKZ company who came in to teach us to use it at the old shop. By the last day, I was showing him stuff and a month later he was offering me a job to work there. I turned it down because traveling for work doesn't really work well with my wife.

born2print

Long time Prinergy users here, Mac workstations (except 1 PC for the 1 client that gives us a .pub once a year and occasional pdf from Word working better there)
Best practice per Kodak is to always serve fonts from local desktop, never from the server and we do that by copying fonts so they are with job also.
We usually do not bother to do that with anything else BUT sometimes I go to save an InDD file and it will refuse to overwrite the existing one on the server, so times like that I do work from desktop then manage files onto the server.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

scottrsimons

I've always worked for smaller shops, and the way they have worked, is you copy the job locally off the network. Work on job, and when you are done working on the job for the day, copy it back to the network. Then have Prinergy (or back in the day Evo or Brisque) find the files on the network to process. Never work off the network. And when I say never, I mean 90% of the time. Plus we use our local trash as a temp backup, which only deletes when needed. Only trash stuff that is older than 3 months or so (there is a process to do that), which has saved us in the past. That is why it is in practice now.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

David

I have always worked off the server, never had to copy files to my desktop to work them. Fonts are also on the server.

and, I use Prinergy, too.

YMMV

:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

I am not surprised, published "best practices" can simply be "CYA"
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on August 13, 2019, 11:32:14 AM
Very interesting. Thanks Joe!

Just to add on the fonts issue...For InDesign jobs we use a 'Document Fonts' folder in the same location as the InDesign file. When you open the Indy files it finds the fonts in that folder. When you close the Indy files it takes the fonts with it. Using this method you don't have to move fonts around at all.