News:

Main Menu

CRON Platesetters

Started by Slappy, November 11, 2019, 09:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Looking to replace an increasingly moody Screen 4300 (single feed) unit, the powers that be recently saw CRON at the Texas print show, and are looking at one of their auto-feed models. I'm unfamiliar with the brand, apparently it's well established in Asia and they've partnered with ECRM to get into the US market.

I've got some literature and of course the glowing sales pitch but really want some real-world input. I've asked at the Other Forum too, and I have an email out to a shop in TX that has one but haven't heard back just yet.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Contract signed, parts have started arriving. I did talk to the one existing user who's had one for about 6 month & they seem pretty satisfied. They're running UV plates, so can't compare there but the hardware sounds resilient, I'm not thrilled about having a processor again (current Screen model uses process-free plates) but the automation will be a huge help. Plus the single-feed Screen 4300 we have now is just killing us with downtime.

I'll reply back once we get to install stage and start calibration etc.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Never heard of it. Hope it goes well.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I thought the use of process-free plates was more an issue of laser power than particular platesetter model? In other words, why can't the Cron run process-free plates?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

It very well may be able to, the new COO possibly decided on "normal" plates to make them more easily measured, QC'd etc.

I'm not planning on being the Processor Cleaning Guy, soooooooo.  :hello:

AaronH

Lucky!

We're getting a new processor and crossover unit for our Javelin, both have been on the fritz for the last year or so and the processor can't keep conductivity stable anymore so we're finally getting approval to change them out.

Wish we could go process-free. We tried once, but the pressmen threw too much of a fit, that the owners decided to go backwards.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DCurry

Keeping the processor just means the pressmen have something they can point their finger at when they have problems on press.

And just because you're not planning on being the Processor Cleaning Guy doesn't mean it won't fall to you anyway! Let us know how that works out for you.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy

Yeah, I fully expect it'll be a Shared Experience.

Quote from: DCurry on December 09, 2019, 10:51:40 AMLet us know how that works out for you.
Install is set for early January, gotta get a room assembled, plumbing etc. and I need to formulate the switchover in XMF, given that we kinda let our Maintenance Agreement lapse since we hadn't really used it and it's pretty $$$.

Slappy

Update: Hardware is all on the floor and hooked up for the most part. Should be doing plate linearization tomorrow & have a call with Fuji setup to remote in & get the CTP onto XMF. They sounded like it might be a little more involved since the there isn't a TIFF-catcher on the unit, I guess it's got to send the TIFFs directly from XMF. Bet that's another $$$ License to add.

Hoping to get the Calibration Guy in by Tuesday/Wednesday too if we can make press time to setup curves. Got a TON of book work in right now, be a perfect test of the CRON.

DigiCorn

I LOVE the self-squaring setup on that platesetter. The last Screen I used, you had to line it up perfectly, or it'd punch crooked (or possible jam on loading). It had like a ruler on it where we marked it with opaque tape so you could load it centered.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

seratne

We were looking at the CRON machines for a bit. They looked really well made. Almost like all the parts were made on the same line as other machines (a china specialty). Pricing was about 40% cheaper than even the steal we got on a new Agfa unit.

Only reason we didn't go with them was service. At the time there was only one place near Chicago that would service it (where we were buying it from). They only had 2 techs on staff, and they were already spread thin with being a 3rd party service provider for Agfa/Kodak/Heidelberg, everything, and also being a reseller. The times previous we used them to service a platesetter they weren't the quickest, but they were competent. We went with Agfa with a service contract because being down for 2-3 days would kill us.

Slappy

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 20, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
I LOVE the self-squaring setup on that platesetter. The last Screen I used, you had to line it up perfectly, or it'd punch crooked (or possible jam on loading). It had like a ruler on it where we marked it with opaque tape so you could load it centered.
Heh, we used Sharpie™ on ours!  :rotf:

Got some plates out this afternoon, they're supposed to get 'em on press 1st thing tomorrow before the craziness starts. I sent a few sigs of a job we already ran last week, no sample left for the pressman so he should just run to the numbers and we'll see how close we get.

Slappy

Quote from: seratne on January 20, 2020, 11:27:04 AM
We were looking at the CRON machines for a bit. They looked really well made. Almost like all the parts were made on the same line as other machines (a china specialty). Pricing was about 40% cheaper than even the steal we got on a new Agfa unit.

Only reason we didn't go with them was service. At the time there was only one place near Chicago that would service it (where we were buying it from). They only had 2 techs on staff, and they were already spread thin with being a 3rd party service provider for Agfa/Kodak/Heidelberg, everything, and also being a reseller. The times previous we used them to service a platesetter they weren't the quickest, but they were competent. We went with Agfa with a service contract because being down for 2-3 days would kill us.
It appears they've ramped up the Support staff and are growing. We had 3 guys onsite for the install, at least one of them local. I think the 3rd guy is in training, fairly young and the CRON Tech said he was learning fast so I'm optimistic. Time will tell though.

Slappy

Well, the Honeymoon sure didn't last long.  :shoots_self:

Joe

:lmao:

Some things never change.

:facepalm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.