News:

Main Menu

Sending jdf's

Started by breadfan, July 08, 2022, 09:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadfan

So, all is going well with Preps and I have learned a lot in the last week, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. However, I am stumped on sending jdf files. In Dynastrip, there is a "jdf options" box where it will send the marks and the colorbars to the "marks" folder in Automation Engine (our rip). I cannot find that place in Preps 9.5 in the print dialog, so when I send the jdf to Automation Engine and then run a job using that template, only the image shows up, of course. Anyone know how to do this?

DCurry

At the top of the Print dialog does it say Send To? There is a drop-down next to Send To and you can choose JDF. (I'm in Preps 9.03 so it might have changed in 9.5?)
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DCurry

Oops, I might have misunderstood your question. You're saying you send the JDF, but AE can't find the marks?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

breadfan

Quote from: DCurry on July 08, 2022, 10:35:32 AMOops, I might have misunderstood your question. You're saying you send the JDF, but AE can't find the marks?
Correct. I am on 9.5 and it the same drop down for printing which sends the JDF, but it only sends the image. No marks, colorbars, side guides, show up. In Automation Engine (Esko) there is a designated folder that the marks go to and it puts them together with the template when you run a job. In Dynastrip, you can choose that "marks" folder, and it separates the marks form the image when you "print" the template, but I see no option of that in Preps. So in other words, Automation Engine is "looking" for the marks but they are not there because there is no way (that I know of) to direct them there. I hope that makes sense.

Joe

Check the "Folders" tab in Preps preferences for output folder. Not sure if that is the solution but it might be. I don't have Preps to check it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

Or the Preps/Preferences/JDF tab...there is a remove marks option there i know.  Maybe you have it checked?
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

breadfan

I found it, it's going to a sub folder inside of the designated folder I am sending it to. It needs to be outside for AE to see it.

breadfan

Victory! I copied the files and put them in the marks folder AE was looking for and everything showed up. It's a work around but I bet I can figure out a way for AE to put it in the right spot so I don't have to do that. Even if I do, its not a big deal.

breadfan

Ok, so I went into AE and made a new workflow that points to the Preps jdf marks folder in the "create imposition from runlist" module. This way I can continue to use either Dynastrip on one workflow and Preps on the other. Problem solved. Thanks to all for helping me to think this through!