Creative Cloud fonts

Started by born2print, May 11, 2017, 09:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I just found the APPE version info for Prinergy 8 which I still have not upgraded to yet so I am sure I am either on this version of APPE or a slightly older one in Prinergy 7.5.

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Edit: Prinergy 7.5 also uses APPE version 3.6.4000.2
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on May 16, 2017, 02:54:21 PMI thought quoting their website might draw them out.  :evil: "I'm a driver, I'm a winner... things are gonna change, I can feel it"

There is a thread over at PrintPlanet titled "creative cloud subscription a ripoff" (no I did not start it!) and that didn't draw them out either. :rotf:

Ear

Yeahhhhh but we are more annoying than they are... that's why we are here, 'member.  :angel:

Where's stupid DCS and NinjaPB when we need them? 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on May 16, 2017, 04:08:35 PMYeahhhhh but we are more annoying than they are... that's why we are here, 'member.  :angel:

Where's stupid DCS and NinjaPB when we need them?

Which is why they don't come over here. They don't want to hear how it REALLY is! :rotf:

Ear

Whoooo wants some honeyyy... as long as there is some mooooneyyy... who wants that hooonnnnneeeyyyyyy  :banana: 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DPSprint

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on May 16, 2017, 10:25:02 AM:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Arrrrgh.... Trying to convince people that "Press Quality" and "High Quality Print" are not Profession Prepress choices....

although they are better than some of the other choices!
I have enough trouble getting files with bleed, trying to explain why one pdf version is different to another would be mindblowing to many

Just_A_Mac_Guy

Quote from: DPSprint on May 16, 2017, 05:13:45 PM
Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on May 16, 2017, 10:25:02 AM:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Arrrrgh.... Trying to convince people that "Press Quality" and "High Quality Print" are not Profession Prepress choices....

although they are better than some of the other choices!
I have enough trouble getting files with bleed, trying to explain why one pdf version is different to another would be mindblowing to many
or that choosing PDF x1a preset (which is the requirement for almost all of our newspapers and Magazines) and changing so many options that it fails to actually be a PDF x1a...

Joe

PDF x1a should never be used anymore unless you have an older RIP that can't deal with transparency.

Ear

PDF x anything should not be used with a modern PDF workflow. PDF x4 was made in 2010, FFS! My 2009 iMac became obsolete, officially, with the newer MacOS.... but hey, the PDF preset from '10 is lit, mate! Pre ISO, yo. It is a standardless standard.  :tongue:

Joe

Quote from: Ear on May 17, 2017, 11:43:07 AMPDF x anything should not be used with a modern PDF workflow. PDF x4 was made in 2010, FFS! My 2009 iMac became obsolete, officially, with the newer MacOS.... but hey, the PDF preset from '10 is lit, mate! Pre ISO, yo. It is a standardless standard.  :tongue:

PDF/X-4 is ISO 15930-7:2008: The PDF/X4 standard is the newest preset in the Adobe line and uses PDF 1.6 and it was built for prepress/print production.

PDF/X is formalized in ISO standards 15929 and 15930:

ISO 15930-7:2008: PDF/X-4, Colour-managed, CMYK, gray, RGB or spot colour data are supported, as are PDF transparency and optional content. A second conformance level named PDF/X-4p may be used when the ICC Profile in the output intent is externally supplied. It is using PDF 1.6. A second edition with minor corrections and improvements (which does not change file identifications) is ISO 15930-7:2010.

Even though it has a 2010 date it is still the newest you can use right now.

There is an X5 but it hasn't been added to the Adobe products yet. It is also based upon PDF 1.6.

ISO 15930-8:2008 PDF/X-5, with a second edition with minor corrections and improvements (which does not change file identifications) as ISO 15930-8:2010. It is using PDF 1.6. A collection of three conformance levels:
PDF/X-5g: An extension of PDF/X-4 that enables the use of external graphical content. This can be described as OPI-like (Open Prepress Interface) workflows. Specifically this allows graphics to be referenced that are outside the PDF, which "can have value in reducing... demands... by allowing... work with low resolution" [ISO-15930-8:2010].
PDF/X-5pg: An extension of PDF/X-4p that enables the use of external graphical content in conjunction with a reference to an external ICC Profile for the output intent.
PDF/X-5n: An extension of PDF/X-4p that allows the externally supplied ICC Profile for the output intent to use a color space other than Grayscale, RGB and CMYK.

PDF/X

The PDF/X-4 file format

Just_A_Mac_Guy

I am not disputing anything you are posting but the fact (for us) remains that the vast, vast majority of Newspapers and Magazines we post to demand PDF x1A and in fact have based their preflight and upload portals on that standard. Some Portals even refuse acceptance of file that fail to test as X1a. Most Commercial printers express a preference for working files over PDF.

Joe

I know they are out there. They fall into that group of 'we did it that way 20 years ago so why stop now?'...or they haven't upgraded their RIP in 20 years. We do a lot of newspaper work here. When we were running Nexus 8 our specs were for PDF/X-1a because Nexus at that time didn't like transparency. We now run Prinergy which gobbles up transparency. We reject PDF/X1a files if we get them.

Farabomb

Exactly, it's the "we've been doing it this way for 35 years" people that need to get with the times. I'm running a OLD ass version of prinergy and I want PDFX/4 files. Just because you're been doing something and it's working doesn't excuse you from being ignorant to other options or methods out there.

The only time I want natives is if I really need to unfuck your files. Since most of the time it will take 3 days before you get me all the components I need to even open the file I will spend the extra time in Pitstop rather than attempt to get the natives.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

Quote from: Farabomb on May 17, 2017, 01:42:36 PMThe only time I want natives is if I really need to unfuck your files. Since most of the time it will take 3 days before you get me all the components I need to even open the file I will spend the extra time in Pitstop rather than attempt to get the natives.
yeap... its such a change from years ago when we needed your natives cos pdf was barely a thing then!
Much prefer pdfs here too, unless there are heaps of things that need correcting.

Just_A_Mac_Guy

I find most publications do not want to take responsibility for things like transparency.
"Hey that's the way your files are, don't blame us." X1a rarely gives us  surprises.

As for Native files, Try finding a printer who will let you communicate with thier prepress people to spec out a job.
"Just send working files and we work our magic"

Followed the next day by a phone call from the prepress guy/gal telling us what they really would like.

Most of our work now goes through print brokers who cannot spell PREPRESS.
Don't get me started on them....