Adobe Illustrator is evil

Started by gnubler, April 09, 2009, 11:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Anything above version 9 blows. Takes down my computer every time. Mac, Windows, top-o-the-line hardware, full moon, drinking vs sober...doesn't matter.

You lost me at CS, Adobe.  :banghead:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

gnubler

Here's what happens when I try to open a 700Kb AI file. Total lockup. Force quit. Not showing up in my running applications. Won't relaunch.

Windows stinks, too, but that's another story.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Okay, Windows right? XP? Version of Illy? By force quit you mean CTRL+ALT+DELETE bringing up the task manager and from there it is not listed in your list of running applications?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Excuse me - I'd love to stay and chat but I have to RESTART my computer. AGAIN. Bye!

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on April 09, 2009, 11:22:08 AMOkay, Windows right? XP? Version of Illy? By force quit you mean CTRL+ALT+DELETE bringing up the task manager and from there it is not listed in your list of running applications?

That's right. WinXP, Illy CS1 (v.11)

I get similar shit at home on a 2 year old MacBook Pro running 10.4.11. I can be running InDesign, PS, and a host of other apps...the moment I fire up Illy everything DIES.

Joe

Try disabling as many fonts as possible. Illustrator can do this if it tries to load a corrupt font.

gnubler

I'm super stingy and organized with fonts. Usually have the bare minimum activated, whatever I need for the current project.

delooch

Illy is evil? its my FAVORITE app!

my illy cs2 will dissapear from the taskbar/program manager from time to time, but when i relaunch it comes back instantly.

its all those heroturko files your messing with. I see one in your screen capture right now. theyre all infected i tell you, ALL!

gnubler

No, my friend. This Illy evilness has been going on long before I discovered Hero. Same crap.

And I *love* Illy too. It's my graphic app of choice. Or was. Hello, Inkscape!

Joe

Try holding down CONTROL+SHIFT+ALT while Illy opens to zap your AI preferences. When it asks if you want to delete all of your settings click yes.

gnubler

I'll keep that in mind. Doesn't help me when it's taken down the entire computer and won't relaunch, splash screen just sitting there stupidly. Only a complete restart can fix that.

Foozball

YES, Illustrator is the DEVIL!
It's the only Adobe App that I haven't been able to just learn "on the fly" ... because it's evil! :evil: Burn it, BURN it! Drive a dot matrix printer through its heart! :evil:

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on April 09, 2009, 11:48:11 AMI'll keep that in mind. Doesn't help me when it's taken down the entire computer and won't relaunch, splash screen just sitting there stupidly. Only a complete restart can fix that.

So holding down CONTROL+SHIFT+ALT didn't get you to point where it asks if you want to delete your settings (preferences)?

Joe

Also when you launch it pay attention to the splash screen. It will tell you what it is doing as it starts. Find out what it is trying to load (fonts, plug-ins, etc...) when it locks up.

gnubler

Here we go again. Anyone ever run Action batches in Illy? Just ran a batch, flew right through it, then Illy just sat there like a retard. No response. Wouldn't quit. Finally it just died, killed itself.

Now I'll try Joe's suggestion when I relaunch it.