Preview Mode

Started by Skryber, May 22, 2013, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

Illustrator STILL doesn't have a preview mode like Indesign's? Tell me I'm missing it. I very rarely set up a design in Illy but for what I'm doing I need to use it. (CS5) PITA to have to create a bleedless PDF and view in Acrobat every time I want to check it out.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

Quote from: Skryber on May 22, 2013, 10:40:14 AMIllustrator STILL doesn't have a preview mode like Indesign's? Tell me I'm missing it. I very rarely set up a design in Illy but for what I'm doing I need to use it. (CS5) PITA to have to create a bleedless PDF and view in Acrobat every time I want to check it out.

haven't see it, not even in 6. I  set up artboards and go by them, not working out for you?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

what kind of preview are you talking about?
Overprint preview?
Separations preview?

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

I think skry means the view which clips everything to the trim (hit "W" in indy to toggle this view)
vdp donkey

Skryber

I want to view without guides or bleed or any marks. A preview button with the same options that Indy has would be ideal. One button toggle. I can't believe they still haven't come out with that. BAH!

This, David:

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

Yes "W".

Also any guides as well.

David

oh, the "preview" preview...

let me look in mine.
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Nope...
and, from what I can find, they use the excuse "Illustrator is not a page layout program" for the reason there is no "preview" like in Indesign.

Some workarounds involve either making a layer mask to temporarily hide the bleed or using the "export for web" function to view the page without bleed.

If I find anything else, I'll post it here.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Skryber

Quote from: david on May 22, 2013, 12:16:29 PMNope...
and, from what I can find, they use the excuse "Illustrator is not a page layout program" for the reason there is no "preview" like in Indesign.

Some workarounds involve either making a layer mask to temporarily hide the bleed or using the "export for web" function to view the page without bleed.

I've done all the work arounds. I've been complaining about this for 15 years. Yes, I was in HS using Illustrator 5 or 6, already ranting at the tender age of 15. :laugh:

Thanks, David!

Joe

Here is another workaround (from Mordy)...in case you haven't ran across this particular one yet.

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2008/05/ask-mordy-preview-without-bleed.html
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

Quote from: Joe on May 22, 2013, 12:27:58 PMHere is another workaround (from Mordy)...in case you haven't ran across this particular one yet.

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2008/05/ask-mordy-preview-without-bleed.html

Good one.

David

that's the one of ones I found that is using a layer mask to hide the bleed, and it's a couple of years old, so they still haven't "fixed" it since then.

of course, you can always place the Illy file into Indesign and view it there as well...

just trying to piss Skry off with more stupid workarounds
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Everyone should just realize that Adobe knows more about what you want than you do. Just walk toward the light people!

:spy2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Skryber

Quote from: david on May 22, 2013, 12:39:20 PMthat's the one of ones I found that is using a layer mask to hide the bleed, and it's a couple of years old, so they still haven't "fixed" it since then.

of course, you can always place the Illy file into Indesign and view it there as well...

just trying to piss Skry off with more stupid workarounds

I would normally create a top layer with a box the size of my art board with a thick ass white outer stroke. And I'd just turn it on and off as I please but f#$% that already. Make a damn preview toggle. :tantrum2:

edit: not to mention, I still have to turn off the guides too. Too many steps for something so simple.

t-pat

Quote from: david on May 22, 2013, 12:16:29 PMNope...

shhh don't tell our in house dezinger
vdp donkey