missing lines of type on plate

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, November 18, 2021, 06:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc

There are a few things you can try. Flatten annotations, checking for missing glyphs etc.
If you have a copy of the PDF still you can send it to me.
In my last week now at Enfocus, so I have a little time on my hands!

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks abc, not sure if you would find anything though. I have tried to recreate the problem but it doesn't happen. Maybe I should optimize each pdf to clean them up right from the beginning? I couldn't send you it now, i am gone for the weekend. :drunk3:p

pspdfppdfxhd

This client sends these pdfs to customers so maybe there are some annotations going on in there somewhere. But what exactly is an annotation and how would i know if the pdf contains them? I know that saving as an optimized pdf can flush em out though.

pspdfppdfxhd

But wouldn't the annotations be visible?

DigiCorn

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 19, 2021, 04:55:03 AM
I am sure you are right about that. We do quite a bit of image editing in Acrobat with the touchup tool. Over the past 20 or so years I have seen it happen before my eyes about 10 times. I've seen whole blocks of the pdf disappear after the image updates. I do an "undo", do it again and it does not happen. Very annoying. My question would be: is there any other way of editing images in a pdf without touchup? I can't imagine using the pitstop curves tool for this, although we are only on version 13 and will have to upgrade soon. I have saved many curves in photoshop for faces that are reprinted every month. If we have to carry on using the touchup tool in Acrobat then I will just have to grow a few more eyes to catch the error.

:facepalm:
IIRC, you can correct the curves in Photoshop on the image, and save it to your work folder. Then use PitStop to relink the image and replace the old one. There are usually layering and masking issues, but even a novice with PitStop should be able to figure this out and correct it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Strange thing that occurred to me... another operator had opened this pdf and there was a red line going through that line of type that popped out. I thought he had used a markup tool to highlight it (he had no idea what he was looking at). Could these pdfs have markups created on their pdfs coming from pcs that i can't see on my mac that are affecting the output?

DigiCorn

You can turn markups on or off in preferences
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

So I am in here on a Sunday, working on the job for the client that we need extensive image editing work. (the one where the type dropped out).

The IT guy must have set the backup to go on Sunday morning so the network speed was terrible.

I copy the folder that I am working on to the desktop of my Mac. So, I edited 9 forms of pdfs, each containing 5 pages 4/4. Now, in the last 7 years or so there has not been a time when editing these pdfs that did not result in at least 2 crashes of Acrobat per form. (9 x 2 = approximately 18 crashes). I did not get ONE crash. The edited photos updated perfectly. This was the point when at times I saw blocks of things disappear when the photo updated. I suspect this is what happened when the type dropped out.

Could working over the network cause such strange events? I don't want to get too excited but it seems that the network was the issue....Make any sense?

Joe

Disruptions in your network connection while working on files could do some very not nice things. Have your network person check everything to do with the network.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pspdfppdfxhd

I will quote you when my trial comes up. My lawyer will be very happy to see some evidence.

Tracy

Seems weird to me to work on the network, I am very diligent with my files
so I put my files on the desktop when working and put them back on the server.

Not sure but I think some places might require working on the network?

born2print

I work on the server except for fonts, I make a local copy for those... except rare occasions where I'm having weird behavior with a file, then I work locally and copy it back to the server but that is pretty rare.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

always working off the server, been that way for years.

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

I work exclusively off the server (except on HUGE files) for a multitude of reasons:

The server is archived/backed up so it needs to be the most recent set of files.
In the event that there are multiple prepress employees, everyone has access to make changes.
If you have a set of files on the server and a set of files on the workstation, how do you, or another employee, know which set is most current without research?
When you link images, links are broken when you change locations of files.
Your RIP usually requires a central location to refer back to data, and the server is the best place since it's always on and rarely restarted.

In the event the file is HUGE and running slow off the server, I copy the file to the desktop, work it, and copy it back and delete from the desktop when done editing. Failure to do this causes issue.

[edit] Based on my history and attitude, I work every file as if it is my last, because it might be. I assume that I could die at any given moment (or quit) and the next poor sap needs a clear path.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Always work off of the server too. I like living dangerously.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.